Staggering

markus

Reaction score
Can you have both sleeves on ledgers in the same bay aslong as in the next lift their in a different bay, yes or no ?

Not anymore mt got changed long time ago all ledgers got to be staggered mt

Can you have both sleeves on ledgers in the same bay aslong as in the next lift their in a different bay, yes or no ?

Yes. I don't care if the NASC say you can't.
F&ck you I won't do what you tell me.:cheesy:

Classic lyrics from ratm pete...lol

All standards and ledgers should be staggered, however i base out with the sleeves in same bay but splice the outside joint and then stagger on all other lifts.

Don't see the point in that way pal it creates extra work for yourself a lad i work with does it that way he's reason being it's easier to strip, but I don't think it's harder or easier

NO always stagger ledgers and standards.
NOTHING TO DO WITH NASC JUST COMMON SENSE PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS;)
its not hard to do si it

Theres no difference in time ben, 2 swivs and a but every 20ft is nothing on the base 10-20 sec per splice.

its not hard to do si it

If I built two 8 foot towers that were fine and compliment, why would it make it any weaker if I sleeved the towers into one 16' tower?

I always stagger standards but never stagger ledgers.

The sites I work on its 4 swivs to a splice pal. Add all the butts and fittings over say 100ft that's extra quite a bit of time and gear for what isn't really needed. I suppose it's each to there own. As for never staggering ledgers in 12 years I can probably say I've never not staggered a ledger even on street work although your point on the towers is a good un ha

If your going up 5 + lifts i think you should always stagger them. One thing that does bug me however is your safety inspector that will pull you up on a two lift house job and insist that you stagger them, I may be proved wrong here, but in twenty + years in the trade I've never seen or heard of a 40' scaffold 2 lifts high come apart in the middle.....:D:D

YOU WOULD HAVE 2 WEEK LINKS IN THE ONE BAY
all you would have to do is splice one set of standards.
THIS ISNT A NEW NASC THING ITS BEEN ON THE GO SINCE TUBE AND FITTING WAS INVENTED IN THE 30S I BELEIVE
like all things its ok till something goes wrong
if it does then the 2 sleeves in the same bay will be highlighted.
Alan Read will hopefully put an end to this debate;)

its not hard to do si it

Aye, I do. Alternate them in each lift, I don't have them sleeved out in the same bay in every lift.
Re. the recent staggering handrail thread, I've always done that anyway. Again alternate it in each lift.

Last edited:
what do you lads class as a bay???????? its it you ledgers or you ledgers and standards make up a bay????????

One set of standards to the next, I would call a bay.

so 4 standards and 4 ledgers you would class a a bay , how many of us stagger 20 /8/10/13/16 20 then no matter if you staggers you will end up with more than 2 sleves in 1 bay

That's what I mean, I'd run a lift through then run the ledgers from the other end on the next lift so you're ledger joins aren't the same all the way up. F&ck trying to stagger the ledgers in the same lift. Get the 21's in n get the f&cker built.

Start with a 16 with your first inside ledger a 21 as your back ledger. Then alternate on the lift above. A bay is 2m x 2m 4 standards 2 ledgers

It's not hard at all pal i have always staggered them and I'm pretty sure your told it at training centres

Top Bottom