maximum board spacing

allan666

Reaction score
if a 13 ft board needs supporting every 1.2 m does that mean if you double them up you could span 2.4 m. i have had to stop and start a scaffold at a doorway then join it up on the second lift ,they have now decided they need to work above the door . the bays less than 2m s and i already carried the handrail through when erecting the first lift . iv lapped the gap with doubled up boards loads of times in the past but im trying to keep up with the times. any ideas if this is ok

Where's Mr Reade when you need him? :D

I don't know if my logic is right but a cuplok batten is 63mm thick and two 13ft boards are thicker than that so I would have thought you're right mate

Last edited:
my thoughts would be that the board would still require supporting at 1.2m.
the individual board is rated and it is still a single board although they're doubled

interested to hear the real answer though

I usually do 1.2m, but the Firm im on atm want spacings at 900mm per Tranny...

Anyway, can you just bridle 2 Ledgers off Band and Plate and Tranny out and cut boards to suit in the gap? :idea:

i,d put trannie in bud is it stone masons or painter if painter would,nt bother u can get them 2 a penny lol

it would be ok Allan we all know that, however J is spot on and i think that is what you need to do.

See? Im not totally full of shiit... every 2015 posts i usually get 1 half decent idea. :cool:

Its gonna be a loooooooooooooooong way to another one, mind you, lol.

We can be pretty rough Allan when it's required but I hope I'm right in saying we wouldn't span that even doubled up. Back in the day we may have done but as has been already stated, undersling and tranny out, it doesn't sound too bad.

It also sounds like one of the few times where system could be used to good affect, as long as you have to full bays on each side of the door and it has already been tied at the hand rail you could then just slip as many omega boards in through the gap as space will allow.

It would do... but not a good idea, owt happens your in the **** mate... what about kwickstage boards ?? you can span further with them...

Do what most chippies do,and nail(or screw) two boards together to span the gap.Dont forget to use nails that are just to long so that they rip your hand/shoulder to bits.

To be blunt I don't think he was, I think it was a genuine question all be it he knows the answer but just checking, nothing hypothetical about it or Allan666.;)

If its a span, id would defo undersling 2 Ledgers in the gap and Tranny/Board out to suit.
That way, if anything was to happen, you'll be covered, as that you tried your best to make the job safe and do it properly.

Bridle off Band and Plate or, if none available - use clips and if you want some extra beefing up, just throw an 'Aberdeen' under both sets of underslung Ledgers - if your unsure the clips will hold.

Best be safe, then sorry Allan mate. :)

You're allowed a 2.6 tranny spacing with 50mm boards. Doubling up gives you 76mm on the boards so I can't really see a problem with this as long as the boards can't slip. :smile1:

I am sure someone posted a video on this site about doubled up boards and their strength, but cant find it yet

Top Bottom