super scaffs (1 Viewer)

hemper

Reaction score
i would like to know how the citb justify giving a 22 year old boy a advanced scaffolding ticket. good luck to all who get it but this lad been scaffolding for 4 years and has no clue of shores, temp roofs or hangers and struggles with returns on normal independents any views scaffs.

Assesed route you had to have been scaffolding ten years prior to getting an chance for the advanced ticket! All industries are quick turn around at these so called training courses. They are only attendance courses, process as many people as they can more profit. The skill level is going down fast.:wacko::worried:

hemper

This is an example of CITB Training combined with the lack of sufficient Mentor support and or exposure to the Structures you have mentioned.

I have seen Scaffs with all the Certs under the sun, however, there is NO substitute for experience.

I had a few new starts Scaffs sent out to an Offshore Installation, on the face of it they had all the credentials required, however, when they were confrunted with the job, I was met with a blank stare :wacko:

I understand that the CITB are extending the time between Pt2 and Advanced from 1 year to 3 years, not sure when though, certainly something that the NASC, CITB, and CISRS should be looking into, with our input of course ;)

super scaff

thanks for all replies lads lets just hope they start understanding that with time comes experience.
I still think that a minimum waiting time for an advanced scaffolding ticket should be at least 10 years, as i was always told 5 years to learn the trade and ten years to call yourself a scaff

As garry stated it seems experience counts for nothing,and money comes before anything else,but the young lads cant be blamed for achieving higher status if the option is there..

All,
Maybe do the advanced over two phases seperated by a couple of years but with the introduction of more complex structures, maybe a Pt1 & Pt2 Advanced, I know this will not be popular because no doubt there will be a cost implication but at least they will have a better knowledge than some of the advanced guys I have come across. It's far to easy to get a gold card in my opinion

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Daz
Your right you cant blame the lads, they are going through the correct training procedures. I just don't think the training is robust enough

its alright having the advanced card its knowing how to use it muppets who cant soon get found out and you can tell those people because they have worked for every firm in the yellow pages does my head in give them anything with a bit of intricacy to it and they just stand back and want to labour useless my opinion anyway!!!

its alright having the advanced card its knowing how to use it muppets who cant soon get found out and you can tell those people because they have worked for every firm in the yellow pages does my head in give them anything with a bit of intricacy to it and they just stand back and want to labour useless my opinion anyway!!!

That post is so true i work with part 2's who couldn't set out a dinner table let alone a job, but they all think they're the dogs nads.

I am called dave don't recognise your moniker though mate.

Under the old CECOL scheme lads quite often acheived their Advanced by the time they were 18 or 19....but they couldnt qualify for their card until they were 21 by which time they had 5 years (Assuming they started at 16 as most did) in the game, and CECOL was a damn fine scheme may I add. Strange how things pan out

i would like to know how the citb justify giving a 22 year old boy a advanced scaffolding ticket. good luck to all who get it but this lad been scaffolding for 4 years and has no clue of shores, temp roofs or hangers and struggles with returns on normal independents any views scaffs.

are you serious,he struggles to do a return and he has a gold card,thats a f ing joke

I have come across a few scaffolding hero's on more than one occasion. I have been with guys who just tell (SHOUT) you how to do the job (their way). After a while i get bored of the instructions and climb down and let them educate me ! Quite amusing watching them build the inevitable **** up only to have to dismantle it again.

Last edited:
Worked with an advanced scaff (late 40s) on a petrochem site who had the same problem with returns even though it had already been based out.
Then he decided to cantilever the 2 inside boards:confused:

Think it was said earlier that there is no substitute for experience.. no matter what age!

I had an advanced bloke put in my gang a few years back, we were erecting a big free standing scaffold got to 2nd lift and it was hemp time, 90 long to be precise to which this fellow says to me while I'm busting my ass hemping "I don't do hemps, I get paid for what I know" with the froth in my mouth of a rabid dog I showed him the exit gate LOL

Plenty of gold card holders offshore who havnt a clue how to erect anything bigger than a pi55pot 8x5 tower,just shows firms scaffolding offshore couldnt give a yoss about the capabilities of the scaffs they employ its all about putting arses on chopper seats,and somehow these arse licking chancers get kept in work when the work slackens off.scaffs should be vetted on their jobs on these platforms so the decent lads remain in a job the longest,the system stinks..

daz

Got to agree with you there M8---the Offshore Service Companies invest very little in the way of Training, they depend on Experienced Nomadic Scaffs to carry and Mentor the less Experienced one---then when the work tails off---the good one's are given the gun powder and the dross is kept on---aye M8 it stinks---

daz your right about filling seats on choppers mate ive seen some right ones out here? There was one lad out last year who we asked to go and get some 6' tubes he didnt know what a 6 was we told him that there the same size as him? The lad was seen lying down on the ground Measuring himself against the tube now come on the offshore company (RBG) sent this lad for a trade test before he got here so somthing's a miss. Now ive seen a lot off good ad-hoc ads get paid off at the end of the season and this kid is still on for RBG?????????

Top Bottom