what to expect?

jonpirie1994

Reaction score
hello.

my name is jon and iv just been gotten an apprenticeship in scaffolding, im am very keen to start an am looking foward to get stuck in. the reason why im am posting this is to ask a few questions and hoping you can give me a reply. What was your 1st day like? an what should i expect? and can you tell me what my dutys are likly to be?

cheers

my 1st day was ****, hard work n wish i never took the job when i got it, espesially now with the work about n wages i would choose a differnt job as it is gettin worse by the day mate.

my 1st day was ****, hard work n wish i never took the job when i got it, espesially now with the work about n wages i would choose a differnt job as it is gettin worse by the day mate.

Well, there's nothing like a bit of gentle encouragement! Don't worry mate. It's not all doom and gloom, it's going to be hard for the first month or so, and you will go home tired. But all I can offer is.... just like many jobs, keep you're head down, don't be cocky and try to take everything in first time without the need to be told what to do multiple times. Your main duty will be to keep the scaffolders working and supplied with kit. Be under no illusion, you WILL NOT be up on the scaffold fixing. So don't get the hump about carrying kit! Good luck and all the best.

Last edited:
My first day was with 2 blokes on a bonus for erecting fire towers an ran me ragged for wks so stick at it wages are rubbish wen u start but give it a fair few years as there is money to be earnt if ur prepared to find it good luck mate

Welcome To The Forum Jon, Be Prepared To Work Harder Than You Have Ever Worked In Your Life, Listen To What The More Experienced Scaffolders Tell You , Keep Your Head Down, Do Your Thing, And Youll Do Allright Kid Well Done, And Welcome To The Job.

Hi there, I hope your thick skinned and can take a joke, cause in this line of work you need to be able too! Humping and dumping gear is hard to start with but you'll get to grips with it, you'll know very quickly if this is the job for you, if you go home hating it, get into another trade ASAP! This is one job that you should take pride in all that you do. Good luck : )

Welcome Jon , scaffold is a very physical job and when you start you need to get fit and develop muscles where you aint got none now , it will be hell for the first month but it will get easier. One thing i always advise young blokes starting in this game is if you really hate it after a week or so then look for something else as it is very physical and dont suit everyone, but if you can get through the first month then you will start to get fit and enjoy the job , You will get stick from the lads , thats the nature of the game and we all do it you gotta learn to roll with the punches and become one of the boys , listen to the older lads as they have the knowledge and know how to keep yourself safe .

best of luck with it and come back and let us know how your getting on and dont be shy to ask for advise we are not all Cavemen ;)

hello.

my name is jon and iv just been gotten an apprenticeship in scaffolding, im am very keen to start an am looking foward to get stuck in. the reason why im am posting this is to ask a few questions and hoping you can give me a reply. What was your 1st day like? an what should i expect? and can you tell me what my dutys are likly to be?

cheers
I've been scaffolding for 15 years now, spent 5 years as a labourer before that.
Trust me, the main thing you need is a dark sense of humour. The strength and endurance will come in time,it's not an easy job but it is fun if you have the right mindset. Also the money isn't bad if you get on the right job

I've been scaffolding for 15 years now, spent 5 years as a labourer before that.
Trust me, the main thing you need is a dark sense of humour. The strength and endurance will come in time,it's not an easy job but it is fun if you have the right mindset. Also the money isn't bad if you get on the right job
Oh, and let go of the tube when we twist it. That means we've got it. Thanks

Top Bottom