Question: Aberdeen transom?

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
Interesting Oldscaff but to be honest the name was about before the 80's, might still be right with the dates being slightly off. I do remember a lot of discussion at the time being even when set were used you still had to use Aberdeens as the set didn't stop the slip load only the pull.

On the slip and pull test SGB would uses 3As on most of its jobs, most scaffs back in these days would work to there firms regs or chargehands rules. so pull and silp was the last thing on your mind but as i said Abb/scaff did insist on banging it in on most of there jobs ????????

Maybe that is where I got it then as I am used with putting them in whilst using set. Did you ever do a stint with them?

Work for them 1988 /90
BP Magnus Big Willie Dingwall Fm Bobby Dickson back to back
John MacMiilan Wllie Edmonds WIllie Frazor Eric Johnston Gary Davison Old Jimmy Mac
Nae Teeth. John MacMacin Sandy Roberson Drew Digwall Liam Malloy and few more
Jump on to the Murchie 89 for A day reat at this time 75 £ a day .as you no some of the BP jobs i.e. Magnus was Measured rates 1200 footage a day, so 75£ a day was the deal of the Month for Abb/Scaff Can you imagine trying to get this in today with all these new rules and of coures the young teams attitude ??

Work for them 1988 /90
BP Magnus Big Willie Dingwall Fm Bobby Dickson back to back
John MacMiilan Wllie Edmonds WIllie Frazor Eric Johnston Gary Davison Old Jimmy Mac
Nae Teeth. John MacMacin Sandy Roberson Drew Digwall Liam Malloy and few more
Jump on to the Murchie 89 for A day reat at this time 75 £ a day .as you no some of the BP jobs i.e. Magnus was Measured rates 1200 footage a day, so 75£ a day was the deal of the Month for Abb/Scaff Can you imagine trying to get this in today with all these new rules and of coures the young teams attitude ??

Forties field 1500 foot per day nickname the killing fields

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Forties field 1500 foot per day nickname the killing fields

12 hours per day at £8.04 plus ot at an extra £1 per hour. When rigs were wood and men were steel.

Changed days out there now, or it was the last time I was there.

Right this mite be the the way it came around in the early days offshore the Scaffold firms were Mills and Sgb they did not hire out any of there fittings and up till about 15 + years Sgb only stared to sell its Band in plate if you worked with Sgb every Transome on any job had to be fitted with band in plate singles were only for toe boards, same With Mills every set of standard with Mills 90s and hooks for intermediates and hooks for toes boards so then came Aberdeen Scaffold in the 1980s they only started out with Doubles and singles so they would put in under each nod point suplementary transome so this got the slang name aberdeen tranny to this day ???????

Close, but no coconut

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

My answer from a previous thread and the link ia at the bottom.

It is my belief that AT's were first introduced offshore by a man who shall remain nameless. First time we had to use them was back in early 80's. The guy who insisted on them had formed his own inspection company and this was practically the first thing they picked up. Even on a tower he wanted them although we thought that as the h/rail was tied with doubles at every lift you would not need an AT. Called AT's because all the guys who came to work in the north sea from all over the country had never seen or heard the like til they worked for Aberdeen Scaffolding Company.

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/sca...y-companys-working-tg-20-08-a-2.html#post8083

Aye, it all started with the demise of the Mills and B+P usage and the introduction of the pressed steel 90 'z ( stickies ) and the single'z...singles being a non-load bearing coupler and subject to splay an Aberdeen Transom was introduced as check for vertical and lateral movement...

I remember using then with Aberdeen Scaffolding on the Brent B in the 70's...happy days :nuts:

was always lead to beleive that a certain man by the initials M C from aberdeen,was the main drive behind the aberdeen tranny.
just like so many unnecessary introductions to scaffolding,once its in its hard to remove.

Mi Co...the very Man...worked with him at SGB in 1972...feckin happy days...what a feckin bucket we used to have and fight like feck...feckin happy days...can any one put another letter to the name ???

Last edited:
I the man that would throw the bow saw in the drink if he seen you cutting one of his companys boards
He also claimed to have invented the lashing hitch on your spanner for tying down boards

Aye nae notches in the boards, aye he's good like...nae sure if he could erect a B+P wi 2 six inch nails though ;)

Wid that be the double lashing hitch ???

Aye, a lot of true stories that very few of the young team would believe eh ???

Every day was a friday and hard ******** didni give a feck for Man nor Beast, 2 weeks on the Keys and 2 weeks in the Bars in Market street :nuts:

I its hard hard to get out there now days without be in off the drink for 2 days as the checkins are full off smell detectives if you wanted a wee drink in the moring you could get one at the heliport the old bond at dyce the bears would sit on the wall facing the building and the othere side of the wall at the pavement would be littered with cans and empty bottels of all kinds of spirits

are you talking about the good old days when you covered your shift and got 15s when you never went up for a cup of tea every hour on the hour,and when SCAFFS WERE SCAFFS,and couldnt give a feck because they knew they would get another job onshore or off.;)

Hello Old Bean...aye, the very days come and join the party pull up a chair...

Old Scaff...wizi real eh, I used to hand over my carry out from Faulty Towers on the way out and collect it on the way back PMSL aye feckin happy days...

Workin over the side in a force 10 in the middle O the nicht never though nithin O it...couldni get peace when yi were on the Beach for Companies fonin yi up offerin yi a start the even used to rectuit in the Bars like press gangs PMSL nae sheite eh...feckin Waggly was the worst woke up on mornimng ON the Piper stoned oot mi Box too PMSL...feckin happy days :eek:

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Whats happni Happy ???

Yes thats for suer and not a Aberdeen tranny in sight but its all change now things are all diffrent the quality life is so competitive in this day and age you can see this when you come in contact with a new squad scaffs as there will be a debate about aberdeen trannys and carrying gear from A to B dont do this and you can not do that on this Rig

its the same all over the games full of winkers theres no fun in it anymore.
do a fair days work and your a crawling basterd,your not a real scaff unless you pull your phone out more than the 7/16 yes i did say 7/16 not a 21mm
DONT START ME WITH RATCHETTS ;)

I can remember going through bond you would go in to the toiltes open up the cisteren put in 2 querter bottels of vodka then checkin, then they would give you the shout to watch the breif once you got stuied up you would ask to go to the loo as the chopper was about to be loaded up.. now it was the old suties with the zips in the out side of the legs, in you went unziped loaded up and off you went Puff puff.. pant pant

Top Bottom