impact drivers

oldstanley

Reaction score
wots the crac with these hilti drills then?we've had 5/6 on our firm now for about 6mnts.......and there f****g *****,they break down and we got to send them off 2b fixed. trouble is,when u go back to the spanner.....its proper dishartening!!!.....and bloody hard work :)

How is the Milwalkee handling it? how long you had it?

Had mine for 6-8 weeks now pal. Find it brill; a touch heavier than the makita but performance wise its quicker, more powerful and the battery life is slightly better..
The best thing was getting 3yrs warrenty on it..

Been on Makita for a few years. They go through brushes. The driver has come our brushless and waiting for wrench to go brushless. I fully submerged one in a puddle dried it in hot water cupboard and used it for another year. Milwalkee are offering a 5 yr warrantee here in NZ. Obviously they haven't thought about scaffs. I'm lucky to get 2 yr out of a Makita. Been hoping to upgrade to a better tool.

I have had my Makita for over 2 years now with no problems other than the brushes which are replaced for a few pence in minutes. I'm sure SP mentioned Makita now do a brushless motor.

These tools are like everything else no matter what make you have, they will only last as long as you look after it and service it regularly, I have yet to submerge mine in a puddle.

Oldstanley, I feel your pain going back to a spanner, there is not a worse feeling on earth when you know you could have done the job in half the time and effort.

Just changed the armertute motor only cost £18 - which is the main part of the drill - these maks are so easy to maintain & repair even though the new 3amp dewalt looks sexy,i thinkni'll stick with it.

Alister have you done the risk assesment & method statement for adding this powertool to ur rams yet

My hilti is awesome plus importantly the lightest out there as far as I know 1.3kg, had it 2 yearsish sent back twice and had it fixed and returned within a few days free of charge. I've learnt to respect it a bit more when it was sent back whilst I had to go back on the spanner an don't use it in the rain as this can cease the motor so unfortunately rain time equals spanner time, ouch
Now I hate the rain twice as much lol

I have done a few pages that I feel covers us until such times someone shows a genuine effort to prove me wrong. I have since learned quite a lot about torque that I didn't put in but happy to give you a look at what we do have SP.

I have had my Makita for over 2 years now with no problems other than the brushes which are replaced for a few pence in minutes. I'm sure SP mentioned Makita now do a brushless motor.

These tools are like everything else no matter what make you have, they will only last as long as you look after it and service it regularly, I have yet to submerge mine in a puddle.

Oldstanley, I feel your pain going back to a spanner, there is not a worse feeling on earth when you know you could have done the job in half the time and effort.

Opted for the Makita meself after a wee bit of help from the lads on here,cost me £270 with a 3yr warranty,had it about 8weeks now and it's just gone away for it's first lot of brushes now,it was great at first but after about 6 weeks it started to struggle[wasn't tightening up enough and was struggling to undo at times],so all in all as you say they only seem to last the same as the old hiltis used to last.
We also had the Hilti rep in last week and he says they are now doing the contracts at £30.00 a month on a 2 year contract only.so thats another option open to us,but ffs £360.00 a year,iv'e ner spent that much on tools in over 30 years.

drill loss pain

yeh,don't i no it arch....theresa a jeffin recession on and they want2 extort moneyout of us 4shite tools that don't last 5mins! they need2 sell these drills at a reasonable price,if u paid 360dollars 4a tv and it broke after 8wks you'd smash d shop up!!!

Opted for the Makita meself after a wee bit of help from the lads on here,cost me £270 with a 3yr warranty,had it about 8weeks now and it's just gone away for it's first lot of brushes now,it was great at first but after about 6 weeks it started to struggle[wasn't tightening up enough and was struggling to undo at times],so all in all as you say they only seem to last the same as the old hiltis used to last.
We also had the Hilti rep in last week and he says they are now doing the contracts at £30.00 a month on a 2 year contract only.so thats another option open to us,but ffs £360.00 a year,iv'e ner spent that much on tools in over 30 years.

Sorry to hear that scaffbhoy, I wonder if the newer tools are of inferior quality as I can assure you the first machines to come on the market lasted a lot longer than that. I have kind of taken a personal dislike to hilti after a discussion with one of their salesmen about torque issues but whilst I still think that the makita is better the hilti contract is worth looking at.

Why send it away theyre so simple to change.
Undo the 2 screws on the back of the gun & remove the plastic cap /cover. Brushes are at the end in front of yoy & removed by sliding the retaining spring back with the screw driver & pulling off the clipfastener. Pullem out & bin em - reverse the process putting the new ones in..cost £3.75 & takes appox 5mins
Also if you register the gun on line the warrenty is extended to 3yrs

Why send it away theyre so simple to change.
Undo the 2 screws on the back of the gun & remove the plastic cap /cover. Brushes are at the end in front of yoy & removed by sliding the retaining spring back with the screw driver & pulling off the clipfastener. Pullem out & bin em - reverse the process putting the new ones in..cost £3.75 & takes appox 5mins
Also if you register the gun on line the warrenty is extended to 3yrs

I did think about doing the brushes meself,as you say they're cheap enough and easy enough to do.But i thought,well,it's under warranty lets see them earn their money and as it's the first time it's gone away i'd see what the time and service was like.Also the warranty might be void if i started d.i.y. repairs so we'll see what happens.

Fair play but would brake my heart to be parted wiv it....got a pic on my screensaver on my phone so shes the first thing i c in the mornin lol

Top Bottom