hgv class 2

dangeruss

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the calcs/formula to use to determine whether to stick with 7.5 tonne lorrys or buy an 18 tonner, also running costs for bigger trucks, thinking of taking the plunge but want to know the viability.

In terms of Insurance, estimate 30-40% additional cost minimum, depending on claims, drivers etc.

We found with the fleet insurance not much difference.

Unless your driver is a scaff or labouring for one on the job, he will be classed as a LGV driver, then he will need the CPC card to add to his collection with another 1 days training every year, also digital tacho's and all that goes with that, depending on the age of the lorry.

with servicing this should balance out against the 7.5t as you can then get more deliveries, so I think its a step in the right direction if you have enough work for them
as there's nothing more to p*ss me off than when I see our trucks going in or out with a handful of f*ckin gear :mad:

the firm i work at now and my old firm both bought 18 tonners, both wagons were cheaper than the same age 7.5's to buy and alot more economical juice wise. you can get a full days erecting off an 18 ton but not a 7.5, every time i would go 18 ton! Its just good to have a 7.5 for those tight accesses!

its also a bonus,as its like a rolling yard,you can strip twice as many jobs,and still make good times for another erection.

horses for courses my friend

choose the wrong horse for the right track you lose your bet.

it depends on the type of jobs you undertake more than anything else , also just how good your drivers treat your fleet.

generally if you do lots of small jobs you want lots of small trucks , for access reasons, for coverage, allocate each truck to an area therefore reducing travelling.

if you do lots of big jobs you want a few big trucks

if you do lots of mid size jobs then i would go for roll onoff or hiab, this gives you flexability, more security and safety plus as truck will be employed mainly for deliveries an collections its easier to find good drivers and possibly earn extra revenue by carriage for others

check out the road transport association and road haulage association they have loads of tools for calculating costs and stuff for exactly this type of thing

Last edited:
We have one of each, both needed at different times. The cost difference is minimal when you consider the extra gear you can shift legally and it could take the strain off the wee 7.5t as you won't need to run it heavy(not that you would obviously).

as the guys say !!! We have never found 18 ton practical , if you want a heavy weight run a 26 ton for the same cost as a 18 ton , we run an artic with short trailers that gives the flexibility and then down to 7.5 tonners from there ,

Can anyone give me the calcs/formula to use to determine whether to stick with 7.5 tonne lorrys or buy an 18 tonner, also running costs for bigger trucks, thinking of taking the plunge but want to know the viability.
Deciding whether to stick with 7.5-tonne lorries or upgrade to an 18-tonner is a big step, and it's smart to weigh your options before taking the plunge. To figure out the best choice for your business, you'll want to crunch some numbers and consider a few key factors.

First off, you'll want to think about the initial investment. Compare the costs of purchasing an 18-tonne truck versus sticking with what you've got. It's not just about the upfront price tag; you'll also want to consider things like the lifespan of the vehicle and potential resale value down the line.

Then there are the running costs to think about. You'll need to factor in things like fuel consumption, maintenance expenses, insurance premiums, and any additional licensing or regulatory requirements that come with the larger truck.

Of course, payload capacity is a big consideration too. Think about how much you typically need to haul and whether an 18-tonner would give you more flexibility and capacity to meet your customers' needs.

Top Bottom