New rules for 'larger' workers on offshore helicopter flights (1 Viewer)

Things have changed since the S 61 ( paraffin budgie ) these new measures are step changes that will go some way to elevate the concerns with in the Offshore workforce...

Not sure why the size is stated in inches as the CAA is a UK regulatory Body and in the UK metric has been mandatory since 1978. That said 22" equates to around 560mm which I would suggest is quite small for the average working "Big Bonedid" Scaff.

I'm 59 years of age, 1.73m in height (5'8")and have lifted nothing heaver than a mug of coffee for the last 15 years and I am still 560mm at the shoulders. Christ knows what the typical 1.8m (6'00") working scaff measures especially the offshore breed who get fed massive meals 8 times a day????

I was always the little fuc*er wedged between two big bastar*s on the AS365 Dauphin out of Easington. Glad I don't need to do it these days.

Garry
talking of size, now SG4 is well established and the use of the step is well underway in the UK have you guys had problems with "short" scaffs not being able to reach the lifts?
If so how have you overcome the problem??
regards
Alan

Those gyms we neglect on the platforms will get better used, at least.

is it just me but maybe they should concentrate on finding the reason why the helicopters are ditching at an alarming rate.:mad:
this pathetic scheme is a bit like a plaster on a broken bone if you ask me.
The amount of steroid freaks and protein shakers may well dwindle due to the new rules so not all bad :eek:

@ Alan

I haven't heard of any probe with UK Scaffs using the Step, however, one size may not fit all, for example, perhaps, quest workers in your region who may be slight of build and challenged in stature all be it their natural body size…

Regards

Garry...

I've seen one or two struggling to reach the return doubles on a handrail but it's usually the spanner chokers who don't know how to get a few extra inches out of holding the spanner lower down. It's should still only be 2m between the handrails anyway.

@ Alan

I haven't heard of any probe with UK Scaffs using the Step, however, one size may not fit all, for example, perhaps, quest workers in your region who may be slight of build and challenged in stature all be it their natural body size…

Regards

Garry...

Morning Gary thanks for your response.

Beinga a man of great height myself 5'-7&3/16" it's not the slight of built that is of concern it's the short f**ers that are a problem:)

The average height of my supply source is 5'-6" which means that 50 % are shorter.

Whilst the step in T&F may be usable it is not so friendly when using say "Cuplok" a 2m lift is still a 2m lift when using the step but placing the top cup in the open position involves another 4" or so and we all know how important the extra 4" can be.

I considered having a taller step made which would raise up the platform but then the Ledger being used as the "Advance Guardrail" would be too low.

Just wondered if anybody had come across this and dealt with it to save me reinventing the wheel????

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

I've seen one or two struggling to reach the return doubles on a handrail but it's usually the spanner chokers who don't know how to get a few extra inches out of holding the spanner lower down. It's should still only be 2m between the handrails anyway.

Have seen quite a few chokers here to be honest despite explanations they have no concept of lever arms!
regards
Alan

aLAN THERE ARE ALSO ADVANCED GUARDRAIL SYSTEMS ON THE GO THAT MAY BE MORE ADAPTABLE FOR YOU REQUIREMENTS ESPECIALLY REGARDING SYSTEM;)

Hi Allan

I know that cuplok is your preferred System therefore any addendum to the Step would have to take full advantage of the design of the ledger and the installation thereof...

Modification of the Step would be prohibitive for a whole host of reasons, perhaps, consideration may be given to a simple wand that would extend the arms length, rather than dabbling with the Step design. The simplicity of the cuplok node point would aid installation of the ledger…

Wand ( for want of a better word ) Mode of Operation

Attach Wand to Ledger…Raise the Ledger and install into the cup…Release Wand from Ledger…Secure Cup Node Point with Wand…

The above in its self may be prohibitive, however, the Question was asked for remedial and or corrective action to be considered…

Aye Allan, every inch counts eh :cool:

Best regards

Garry...

We have done our fair share of cuplok using the step without any real problem and I've also worked with my fair share of short erses. I still think even at 5'6" you should have the reach to put in a ledger. If opening the cup is the issue, you could always tell them to make sure that the cup is open before they top out the standard. ;)

Hi Alistair

Aye, this one is a bit of a brain stormer eh…however, problem solving is our business…

I have been looking at alternatives of installation ( cuplok ) rather than the 1/2 Kg hammer recommended…Im looking at a design somewhat similar to the Traditional C Key as a method of securing the Node Point, any thoughts ???

Best regards

Garry...

Not sure about that Gary, I haven't really seen it as an issue before. I have seen smaller guys struggle on tubing jobs because of big lift heights or even not making full use of the tools they already have. Cuplok is regimental, and if you can put in the lift ledger, you can put in the handrails from the step. I've never been a big fan of the ag, especially the type that requires a wand.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

One particular problem when using a wand to fit a system rail like Cuplok is, you usually need a bit of shoulder to force the standard back enough to accept the ledger. Something you just couldn't achieve with a wand.

I see where your coming from with the shoulder ;) another wee problem to solve :eek:…a Wand type C Key could only be used for Cuplok is the only answer that I can table to Alan,s Question…

How thing with you anyway, good I hope ???

Gar...

Yeah, things are going good, every day is a school day as they say. I cleared my last site at the weekend and whilst I did feel a tinge of sadness as I brought the last load through the gates, I haven't regretted my decision to change direction.

What about you, are you still considering the teaching?

Not sure why the size is stated in inches as the CAA is a UK regulatory Body and in the UK metric has been mandatory since 1978. That said 22" equates to around 560mm which I would suggest is quite small for the average working "Big Bonedid" Scaff.

I'm 59 years of age, 1.73m in height (5'8")and have lifted nothing heaver than a mug of coffee for the last 15 years and I am still 560mm at the shoulders. Christ knows what the typical 1.8m (6'00") working scaff measures especially the offshore breed who get fed massive meals 8 times a day????

I was always the little fuc*er wedged between two big bastar*s on the AS365 Dauphin out of Easington. Glad I don't need to do it these days.

Garry
talking of size, now SG4 is well established and the use of the step is well underway in the UK have you guys had problems with "short" scaffs not being able to reach the lifts?
If so how have you overcome the problem??
regards
Alan

mr reade im the same height wise ( not weight tho lol ) but have always been crippled with t rex arms and i struggle to put the top handrail in off the scaffstep!!!!!!!! and im usually the shortest in a gang all i do is put it at bottom hanrail heght and once up there quickly push it up havnt been done for it............... yet lol

Alistair…whats all this with the change in direction ???

Aye, Im on track with the Quals required for Teaching / Assessor...

Sorry Gary, I thought everyone knew. I have closed the gate on my small operation and am now working as an instructor. First time in years I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to the winter. ;)

Good Man…Im coming down to Renfrew Jan 5th and 12 Feb…

Where are you Instructing ???

Gar...

Top Bottom