SGB Wembley yard

Karl Born told me his branch at Canning Town was the best performing depot in England, funny it was one of the first to close. He now runs D+R Eastern I think?

Palmer belvedere branch went few months ago so could be right mate good bloke to deal with tough as they come but man of his word;)

Think my old man Alan harman started out
There! If I'm right pat sweet was there at
The same time! Remember him telling
Me about heinz or hindes scaffolding having
Something to do with there as well! Would
Of been in the 70s!
And he's now 62 and still on the tools!

Think my old man Alan harman started out
There! If I'm right pat sweet was there at
The same time! Remember him telling
Me about heinz or hindes scaffolding having
Something to do with there as well! Would
Of been in the 70s!
And he's now 62 and still on the tools!

I seem to remember SGB buying Hind Scaffolding in around 74/74.

Alan - I think you will find the company name was Hine scaffolding. Bought out by GB around '74 I seem to remember John Church QS at SGB Kings Cross came from there. (though I may stand corrected regarding John).

yeah i know andy and john harman from essex i was on sgb at the time , worked on the british museum and canary wharf with them . anyone remember kenny doyle or charlie lee , peter kelly ??

Alan - I think you will find the company name was Hine scaffolding. Bought out by GB around '74 I seem to remember John Church QS at SGB Kings Cross came from there. (though I may stand corrected regarding John).

No Doug you are correct it was indeed Hine.

I started with kenny Doyle " mad dog". Also with Dave miles and Alan white

What's ur name daveyboy u seem to be on gbs when I was;)

Hi Peter
I knew your dad and uncle Podger at Brighton for a good few years, both good men and both very well respected in SGB.

An age of characters long past and missed.

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05

Forgot:
Keith Williams and Dave Higgins

Did you come across Roy "sturmey" Archer and no neck when you were down there?

Peter Kelly did he have 3 sons that are all scaffolders?

I remember Albert the lorry driver, big paddy used to take his dog everywhere. Did you know Carl Willybonn (German fella)or was he at the Heathrow depot ?
We did a load of subcontract work for them at Graham park (nice place, not!)
Albert always had a cigar on the go when I was there learning the tools.On a few unlucky occasions I had to go with him to load up at various sites mostly around Chiswick at the time.He put me through it ,made my life hell.Was all part of the game at the time.Cannot imagine youngsters putting up with it now lol.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.

Albert always had a cigar on the go when I was there learning the tools.On a few unlucky occasions I had to go with him to load up at various sites mostly around Chiswick at the time.He put me through it ,made my life hell.Was all part of the game at the time.Cannot imagine youngsters putting up with it now lol.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.

Albert was great, as you say always had a cigar sticking out of his face.
I used to tell him looked like a movie star........... Lassie having a sh1t, he good guy

Anyone got a number for Mick, if so please can you pm it to me please.

i also worked with kenny doyle when i started as a trainee,a few others i also knew were johnny mcgowan,john ablett and harry tully,roy green,bob perry,danny white,gary and mark,richie and chris (cant remember surnames)jacko nelson,alan barking,mick and john,my first job was the adelphi hotel next too charing cross, had many a good day and a laugh with most of these guys.....

Top Bottom