Ladder tags (1 Viewer)

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
Does every ladder have to have a ladder tag ?

we got a site with 15 ladders on and the HSE guy wants tags on them all, and do they have to be signed every week ?

Does every ladder have to have a ladder tag ?

we got a site with 15 ladders on and the HSE guy wants tags on them all, and do they have to be signed every week ?

There's no legal requirement for ladder tags (just like scaffold tags) although some contractors insist on them on their sites.

I always argue that as our ladders form part of an overall structure - ie. a scaffold, then the ladders can be checked and 'tagged' along with the rest of the scaffold.

Nobody has argued with that arrangement yet.

We have had same issue on interserve sites in the past and use same explanation as Phil181

Under PUWER ladders are seen as work equipment and a lot of clients want them tagged. I would have no problem if they had no tag and were inspected as part of the scaffold every seven days.

I have inspected in sites where the client wants tags and the ladders inspected and recorded separate to the scaffold every 7 days

Philliomaximus

Same as the gents above scaffolds are just made up of numerous components, ladders are just another component part of a completed scaffold.
Different where ladders are used as a stand alone item of access equipment, in this instance I agree, ladder tags might be a good idea.

Had the same bother on a couple of the sites i was running at my last firm, ended up having to make i note on the scaffold register that the ladders had been inspected as part of the weekly scaffold inspection, when we first handed the job over i had to give the client a ladder register with every number of every ladder on the job. This was then put on file and used to check the weekly inspection report against to make sure the ladders had been checked. All our ladders had individual tags and numbers put on them in the yard, because we'd got pulled once by another client that wanted to know if the ladders were checked in the yard. obviously told that they were and he came back with , 'prove it'!! So we tagged every ladder that we had and any new ladders that were bought, i shi7 you not we had thousands!!! We then had to implement a recorded inspection regime in the yard, as if the yard manager didn't have enough to do!!! The joys of working with MCG companies. sometimes think that the health and safety pri.... some officers, have nothing better to do than think of new ways to make their department more unique than their rivals,just to use it when they're trying to clinch the deal!!

I find Ladder Tags can be a source of cross reference---for example, when a Scaff Tag has been removed/lost or simply disappeared !, I can cross reference the Scaff Tag Data against the ladder Tag Ref No.---which are both entered into a Scaffold Management System. The same is relevant if the Ladder happens to go walkies...

When i say tag, i'm not reffering to the scaff-tag ladder tags, these were just metal plates with individual numbers stamped on them. Made each ladder unique, then our own paper work satisfied the health and safety chaps.

I find Ladder Tags can be a source of cross reference---for example, when a Scaff Tag has been removed/lost or simply disappeared !, I can cross reference the Scaff Tag Data against the ladder Tag Ref No.---which are both entered into a Scaffold Management System. The same is relevant if the Ladder happens to go walkies...

scaffold management system, have you got a copy Gar? i love a good SMS

the price of ladder tags at dsl are no cheeper than scaff tags and everyone know how pricey they are i thick you can sign a ladder tag every month, we got pulled a while back for paint on a wooden ladder and told that it was not aloud to be painted get it off site.

we just give each ladder a unique reference number which is stamped or plated to each ladder, this is then used to identify the ladder during inspections, thefts, or other kind of reports or inspections, its also used for site delivery notes the code of the ladder is on the notes so we also know where each ladder is.

cheaper than tags

It all falls under PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and best practice guidelines. We do a ladder version as well as the scaffolding ones which is well recieved - feel free to take a look at Good To Go : Ladder for info.

If you are looking more at the steel pole ladders often used on construction sites there was a safety alert raised recently about these which might correspond with management concerns over ladders, see Workplace Safety: Safety alert issued for steel pole ladders for info on that one.

According to the trad salesman up here, it was been withdrawn pending consultation, it's all to do with the metal ladders that have no tread on the runs, like the old galv ladders that have square runs.

We used to keep a ladder register, with 6 monthly reports on each but with over 1000 ladders on it got impossible to keep track of so we ditched it. Not had any bother from contractors about it. Like already said, they are inspected as part of the usual inspection process and should be inspected by the user before each use anyway.

Top Bottom