Rigger boots

We had to stand on a monitor type thing to make sure the soles were anti static, depends what environment your working in.

Looks like one man from the hse woodsie, you can always phone the hse yourself mate.

Nice 1 for that he also said a board that we had stacked against the wall prior to work had blown over n nearly hit some one which i never saw and why were`nt we wearing eye protection! Eye protecion for what, incase the spanner flies out of your hand into your eye?

Just every day houses with power switched off, riggers!! whats the problem?
If it's company policy Woodsie, not worth the hassle arguing the point, better to get a new pair and claim on your tax. We cant win all the time.

Im not getting any amo here to send Mr safety packing. What do HSE say as regards to safety boots is it only that they need steel toes or does this ankle shiet come into it?

I know Network Rail have a Blanket ban on Rig boots, however, the way forward is down to risk assessment -

i.e.

1. Would the accident have occurred if other types of footwear had been
employed?

2. Were the circumstances such that the accident had a reasonable likelihood
of being repeated by the same person or by others if they continued to wear
riggers?

If yes - then justifiable case - at least in principle for a ban - if not,
then what justification have you to implement a ban?

I know Network Rail have a Blanket ban on Rig boots, however, the way forward is down to risk assessment -

i.e.

1. Would the accident have occurred if other types of footwear had been
employed?

2. Were the circumstances such that the accident had a reasonable likelihood
of being repeated by the same person or by others if they continued to wear
riggers?

If yes - then justifiable case - at least in principle for a ban - if not,
then what justification have you to implement a ban?

Yeh but there has been no accident and probably will never be one. I`ll tell him HSE stipulate steel toes only, job done.

Steel toecap's are the minimum requirement, but the HSE has no embargo on companies wanting to raise the standards and implement them. You can take it that the insurance industry has data on foot injuries and the causes, and if they say rigger boots contributed, they will have advised their clients. Companies want to keep their premium's down and to do so will enforce that on site, thats their perogative. The safety officer is acting on instructions from his company and the HSE will back him.

Last edited:
So why are Wellington boots, not banned then..........Concreters and groundworkers wear them all the time !!!!!!! and siteworkers in snowy and Wet weather wear them ?????
Nice one paddy...

all right daz are you shure you are not the zohan

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

We`re doing work for scotish power, putting up towers re-placing electical cables on residential houses however the electric supply has been switched prior to work.
The health n safety is ott but if i can come up with an expalnastion to why riggers are justified i wont have to bye new boots.
is it rediciluos or is it just me?

theyve got you by the balls mate if you come back with a good argument
they will only start on about company policy to justify them selves as with all safety men they will never admit that they are wrong some good news though they have started making riggers with an external plastic stip up the back of them so that usually shuts them up a lad i work with has got a pair he just smiles and points at the back of the boot when the start

Top Bottom