Ladders

1969scaff

Reaction score
Any one been told that there are new regs out for ladders?Vinci site we are on have told us wooden ladders are banned,metal ladders must have 20mm wide rungs with grooves in,any metal ladders with smooth rungs are banned.We have got about 30+ ladders on various jobs ,half are now no good,been up for over two months no problems now they can't be used!!!Is it me or is this another load of shi--?

Heard that a few years ago mate hence dont stock wooden ladders
Know that a few sites banned metal ladders without tread on rungs , amec banned ladders from sites a few years ago

According to one of Vincis best ,these are new regs out.You can buy brand new wooden ladders from the likes of George Roberts,so how can they be banned?

F uck knows mate just what i was told tell nowest holst ex top man for a copy of these 'new' regs , have a look on nasc website for safety updates i think there was something on there a few month ago bout metal ladders

Are you buying wooden ladders

Same just happened on our site. It's a Bam Job, we have 27 that need changing but have told them that we want an instruction for it. They seem happy to comply.

Sweet !! Lets hope they dont want them changed to after 2.30 pm :)

I've seen a report that said the HSE were putting prohibitions on metal ladders with smooth rungs

Safety Alert

Steel Pole Ladders

The HSE recently imposed a prohibition notice on a scaffold contractor (non-NASC member) about the use of a particular type of steel pole ladder following a reported fall from height.

The HSE noted that the steel pole ladder used as ladder access on the scaffold did not have any grip/tread on the rungs and as such was in breach of the provision of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 Regulation 4 (1).

Steel pole ladders are a popular form of ladder equipment for scaffolds and all scaffold contractors are urged to check that if they are using the steel version that the ladder does indeed have a ribbed or textured tread on the stiles to ensure compliance.

According to the Ladder Association the minimum standard for a 'trade purpose' ladder is EN131. Within this specification document it states the following...

"A rung is defined as "a climbing support with a standing surface from front to back of less
than 80mm and at least 20mm". 1

It also requires that "rungs and steps made of metal or plastics shall be made with antiskid walking surface, e.g. by profiling".

Heard this last week as well, and the site the S/O called on had treads on all 5 ladders, how's that for a fluke?

Dazzc thanks for the info - more expense

Take em down if they'r banned,and tell them the new ones have been ordered.

The NASC issued a safety alert on square rung metal ladders last month.

This was withdrawn a short time later for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom