National CISRS Membership??? Figures........? (1 Viewer)

cheers for the info lads thought was going to have to dig deep for another renewal.

Sorry have I missed something here, why would I need a refresher course.

Started when 16. now 47 !

What major feature have I had to pay attention to.

1/ Double Handrail.
2/ Ties
3/ Transom support spacing
4/ Invention of the loading bay & fork lifts.
5/ Handrail height change
6/ Development of temp roof fixing fittings (ACE)
7/ Standard spacing
8/ Tie pattens increased
9/ Sway brace positions

Sorry at the end of that one. 31 years in scaffolding & I have hit a blank on what I would need to know in my every day work other than experience.

I have not put harness in the list because I do not feel that was a development more than a cop out issue. Any other issues are covered by the drawings we are to be supplied with prior to work commencing!!

If I have missed anything please post it so I can learn!

£600.000 to know this!!

Ragscaff

Hi Ragstaff, You forgot number 10, or maybe it should be number 1, Bow the knee and tip the hat to clipboard Cliff.

Sorry have I missed something here, why would I need a refresher course.

Started when 16. now 47 !

What major feature have I had to pay attention to.

1/ Double Handrail.
2/ Ties
3/ Transom support spacing
4/ Invention of the loading bay & fork lifts.
5/ Handrail height change
6/ Development of temp roof fixing fittings (ACE)
7/ Standard spacing
8/ Tie pattens increased
9/ Sway brace positions

Sorry at the end of that one. 31 years in scaffolding & I have hit a blank on what I would need to know in my every day work other than experience.

I have not put harness in the list because I do not feel that was a development more than a cop out issue. Any other issues are covered by the drawings we are to be supplied with prior to work commencing!!

If I have missed anything please post it so I can learn!

£600.000 to know this!!

Ragscaff

The simple answer is that you don't have to take a refresher course every 5 years to renew your CISRS card - nor are there any plans for you to.

come on everybody knows most scaffs try and get away with what they can!

I know scaffs now who really do have no idea but they are all competent, so if you judge off that how many of us are competent?

Agree that is why we need training that is skilled based with more on site experience.

The current system is not working.

Its not rocket science!!!!

Its knowledge.

Ragscaff

come on everybody knows most scaffs try and get away with what they can!

I know scaffs now who really do have no idea but they are all competent, so if you judge off that how many of us are competent?

the exsperienced lads scaffcon too many with the competent tickets but hide behind the lads that can do the job we could talk about this situation untill the cows come home untill something gets sorted were just go round in circles

what grinds my gears is the lads get taught the stuff, know it but just dont do it then argue theyre right!

Been up london a few day[News Flash] no one is complying to any of the regulations.

Agree that is why we need training that is skilled based with more on site experience.

The current system is not working.

Its not rocket science!!!!

Its knowledge.

Ragscaff

I partly agree.

Most of the lads really cant be bothered, and the other lot just whinge that they are on price and cant afford to do it right cos they wont make any money.:sad2:

With all due respect.

We are not Robots, every human being and Scaffolder:D has their 'Strengths and Weakness's' Albeit, some are Sh1t hot on the tools, but are weaker in the reading and writing and most important, understanding drawings.

Then you have the Guys that can read a drawing as if it is the Sunday sport, but cant fathom out how to erect a scaffold to a SSOW.

Classroom Training comes easier to some, than Peer pressure. Clip round the lug for some, words of encouragement for others.

Their will always be a Tier system....... Like football, leagues..... you are good, however, some may be deemed not able to play in the 'Premier League' but you are still a Professional. Also you are respected and wanted.

Paddy

Paddy M8

Words of wisdom my Friend---and very true---it wouldn't do if we were all the same eh...

Gar...

paddy the drawings will fook some but!!! they wont admit it. i can remember years ago on some industrial jobs that had a boiler scaffold to errect you would have 20 guys at the start to errect this scaffold pumping scaffold in likes its going out of fashion but only 2 0r 3 lads could read the drawing like you said paddy some can read the drawings some can throw the steel up and some cant!!!

So true mr Carr...Hats off to the premier ship boys,in my view projects like blackpool towers. I remember the post office tower job in kings cross london and looking in awe every time I passed it. At best I might have made league one,tho i could read a drawing,who knows. :sad2: Alas lads, no tickets so couldnt make a park team now days lol:cry:

i have got to agree with the daft one,i waas always a wee bit curious about who assesses the assessors so to speak.i would like to say that you have answered that question Ian
Daftscaff, good name by the way, all my instructors have PTLLS [ preparing to teach in the life long sector] qualifications or city and guilds 7331. once complete they then do the A1 assessor award, I also have two Cert Ed which is a teaching qualification for schools. All are advanced scaffs, been foreman or supervisors and had over five years experience.

To answer you question they are all members of the institute for learning on a CPD [continuous professional development] costing £68 per year. Every year they have to submit what courses and assessments they have done along with course development and extra learning.if they don't have enough points they lose it.

How many advanced scaffolders do you know are swabbing round site and rigs and have never picked up a spanner for 10 years? Are they still competent?

Ian

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Should have told them it's set in stone as it's written on the SF.

With all due respect.

We are not Robots, every human being and Scaffolder:D has their 'Strengths and Weakness's' Albeit, some are Sh1t hot on the tools, but are weaker in the reading and writing and most important, understanding drawings.

Then you have the Guys that can read a drawing as if it is the Sunday sport, but cant fathom out how to erect a scaffold to a SSOW.

Classroom Training comes easier to some, than Peer pressure. Clip round the lug for some, words of encouragement for others.

Their will always be a Tier system....... Like football, leagues..... you are good, however, some may be deemed not able to play in the 'Premier League' but you are still a Professional. Also you are respected and wanted.

Paddy

Very eloquently put Paddy and credit where its due your bang on mate!

are you kidding me on here Ian you must know its not on to top out 21s anymore the big companys are banning them as well due to the manuel handling side of things.a dictorate handed down from the beloved NASC.scaffolding is a trade wether the rest of the industry likes it or not,so why are we more regulated than the so called trades,like joiners brickies or even steel ersctors
We don't, however I would like your opinion on the question of scaffolders who have not scaffolded for 10 years or more but have a gold card.

It's the exact opposite of what your saying and you are a safety advisor so deem them competent?

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

My last quote before bed, I am an advanced Scaffolder and have been since 1997. I have been off the spanners a while now, would I feel comfortable topping out a 21?

are you kidding me on here Ian you must know its not on to top out 21s anymore the big companys are banning them as well due to the manuel handling side of things.a dictorate handed down from the beloved NASC.scaffolding is a trade wether the rest of the industry likes it or not,so why are we more regulated than the so called trades,like joiners brickies or even steel ersctors

Happy, topping with a 21 is not banned across the board, many companies have risk assessed them out.

On the regulation I am not sure where you are coming from, is it on companies or on training? Can you elaborate on it please.

21 foot tubes havent used them since 2003 but thats on the national grid no tube over 16 foot thank god dont know what would be worse topping out a 21 foot tube or trying to stand one of those cherry picker ladder up does any body still use them lol!!!

the old paddys as we call them in glesga.
i would love to see how you can risk assess them for topping out in these days of health and safety.
i also find the 16s a wee bit of of a pain in the arse,the lyndons are the best all the length but nice and light.
at least the revaalidation scenario has been clarified thanks ian

Top Bottom