Businesses step in to repair botched roof job

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
FOUR big-hearted businesses will replace a £13,000 roof free-of-charge for an elderly couple who were ripped off by cowboy builders.

Bosses at Undercover Roofing Supplies, Rayleigh, Acorn Lead Roofing, Benfleet, K&K Scaffolding, Rochford, and Canvey Skip Hire & Recycling decided to show some community spirit when they heard about the plight of Peter and Peggy Heard.

The Heards, who are in their seventies, were devastated when they paid £3,000 for repairs to the roof of their bungalow in Kingsley Lane, Rayleigh, only to find the rogue traders they hired had botched the job and disappeared.

However, after they called in Undercover to assess the damage, the firm’s staff felt so sorry for the couple they offered to do the work for free.

Donna Evett, general manager of Undercover, said: “I just felt so sick when I saw what had happened, I decided I wanted to do something to help. I made a few calls and the contractors we work with regularly were happy to help.”

Kevin Kerrigan, manager of K&K, added: “It seemed such an awful shame and I thought it would be better if more people can put a bit more back into the community.”

The businesses will start stripping the roof and replacing it at the end of May.

Undercover will be supplying the materials for the job, with the scaffolding provided by K&K and skips for the waste coming from Canvey Skip Hire & Recycling.

Scott Lipton, from Acorn, will be doing the work.

He said: “When this kind of thing happens, it gives the whole industry a bad name. We wanted to do something to show that some firms can be trusted to do a good job.”

Stuart Clark, owner of Canvey Skip Hire & Recycling, added: “It feels like we are getting back at the cowboys who do this kind of thing.”

Source: Essex Echo

Top Bottom