working in the rain

steady 29

Reaction score
hi lads im a contract scaffolder by chioce as i love the freedom it gives me to pick and choose my work and this issue raised its head when me and my gang where more than happy to work in the rain as long as we got abit extra for it i,e a few more hrs when the lads working direct went proper mad saying we where going to ruin it for every1 as no 1 should work in the rain i think it should be each to his own after all while iv been contracting iv been expected to to a few things some local lads wouldnt do whsat are your thoughts on this lads

i work in any weather,i love it,hate sun though,if its job and finish even better.last place i worked at,other lads would sit in wagon while i worked,when i went home they dint like it.and fekin moaned.you have to be prepaired to work in any weather,or jobs wouldnt get done.

Double edged sword springs to mind mate.

Subbie:- if you dont work, you dont get paid.:eek: However, 'Quote You like the freedom'.

Directly Employed:- You are expected to work to the Company H&S policy as Subbies do, however, sometimes, added bonus of TUC recognition, wheras, the fight for 'Wet time' was a hard long struggle, which was gained as a right.

In my opinion, a employer, should never mix n match the workforce, as the original thread posting states, this is where Animosity,instead of Unity rears it,s ugly head.

This is my opinion, and my own words.

regards
Paddy

The problem with the direct employed is some of them are made of sugar and will melt in the rain!!!!!
In this day and age you gotta earn a crust, why not strike a happy medium, say work half a day make a show get wet then finish for the day.

What we do is keep two hours pay per week from the chaps,so if they work in the rain or have to cut their working day short for whatever reason, they have this as a buffer zone,and keeps the wages topped up each week. We work it in minutes and for every hour of overtime they work, they receive free extra minutes.It soon mounts up during the fine weather months. The minutes can be used even if they need a bit of money for that unexpected bill or extended holiday.Seems to work well for us.

numbnuts im the same i got used to it im from the southwest and unlike everybody thinks its rains most of the yr down there and you just have to get on with it "it is what it is" i feel if a boss is going to pay you the extra to get the job done then happy f**King days and iv done well reasonably well for my self with my work ethic iv got a gd name with just about every agency iv ever worked for and been offerd numourous full time jobs but never felt the need or want to take any of them as the money is never as gd and i end up getting bored and jacking in and paddy i understand that wet time was a long hard fight but surely a deadline is a dead line and sometimes you just have to go that extra mile

paddy is right when you have subbie labour on the same jobs as direct employed then there will be conflicts sometimes , personally i work in the rain till i have had enough , if i get up at 5.30 drive to work then i want to earn a days money

Apart from blue book jobs, everyone expects you to work in the rain or not get paid. That's how it is down this way.

scaffman that is an interesting way of working mate , i normally pay the lads for the shift once they come in and then if they have to work on for an hour then it covers it , swings and round abouts as they say :)

phil couldn,t agree more after all no1 else is gonna pay my bills and i see it as my choice and allways will and this job is for mad dogs and englishmen aint it so whats a bit of rain

scaffman that is an interesting way of working mate , i normally pay the lads for the shift once they come in and then if they have to work on for an hour then it covers it , swings and round abouts as they say :)

The trouble I had when I did that was that some gangs used to take a lot more than they give. The way I work it now makes it fair for all.

your skins waterproof lads.:D

Your Hands and feet are not Sliproof, and if your Wet time money is Flat time, why try and make a extra couple of snot?

like i stated, i am talking for direct employed, however,Why cant the Subbie have a 'claw back clause'?????

My opinions are reserved at the mo, had a pint.

Depends on how heavy the rain is,forecast,urgent the job is & most importantly how safe do you feel....

I f.ucking hate erecting in the rain:mad::evil::mad:

come and work for our olde firm any heavy rain no work, health and safety has its bonuses,if it carrys on in the van and home payed 8hours no bonus, if we get a deal no one minds getting wet lol!!! also works if the weathers too hot,too hot down tools and regular water breaks the prices this firm charges they can afford a bit of give and take lol!!!

been self employed since 1987 paddy mate,its the way i am.old school through and through,if i dont work,i dont eat,simple as that.its why i work.(if you know what i mean)cards in people seem to have loads of time off.last place i worked at,in seven years there,i had ten days off sick,never had holidays or would work as much at xmas as poss.

Top Bottom