impact drill (1 Viewer)

jamieryan

Reaction score
i have been told that some of the scaffs have swaped the scaff spanner for some sort of impact drill. would like to know if any one on here as tryed them and if they are any good

one of the lads was onabout some scaffs have taken to using some sort of battery powered impact drill with 7/16th socket on it

jami

I had talks with a Leading Scaffolding Orginisation a while back regarding a Torque Spanner---the M.D. ordered a batch of hand held battery dirills to feild test the idea of a hand held powered spanner with a Torque mechcanisim---Paddy M8 the feckers are at it M8 :mad:

My good friend of mine, Mr G Adams had proposed a tool of such many moons ago during a feasability project while doing his NEBOSH GC.

After he successfully completed his course, he decided to further his idea of a powered torque regulating scaffold spanner.

Mr Adams,did a lot of research and feasability options regarding his idea, however, as we all know, we need a buisness plan, sponsor, promoter and a hell of a lot of ££££££££

Mr Adams, approached many outlets regarding his new innovation, from major companies to SME's,IOSH and the NASC, all to no avail, no commitment anywhere.

If you go to the Scaffolder study group you will find a thread regarding his work.

If i find out this tool that is now available, has jumped on Mr Adams original innovation, i will publicly name and shame them, and then call on the SF to boycott them.

your thoughts please.

Regards
Paddy

not good that for garry sounds like had put alot of time and effort into it. its always the case you do all the work and research and some **** steals the idea. couldnt tell you the make or ewt but next time i see my pal illl ask him know the scaffs who had them was manchester lads

Thanks Jamieryan for the heads up mate.

I have requested you as a friend mate, please accept, not just as a fellow scaff but also to try and give me the info of the Impact drill.

Best regards
Paddy, Garry and the SF.

Sounds like another course in the offing,handling of air or battery operated tools,kin ell,end up with a power pack on yer back resembling a ghostbuster..

daz

Is this an early April fool ???, na, Scaffs this is for real---I researched the modes of Powering and the Mechanical Principals that would Operate a Hand Held Powered Torque Spanner in 97---I narrowed the power supply down to either Portable Battery Packs, which proved to be heavy and cumbersome, expensive to re-charge and environmentally un-friendly;--- Pneumatics, required a pressure vessel to contain the compressed within the inside of the handle; this proved unsafe, requires a trailing hose to maintain sufficient power, expensive to operate and maintain.--- Kinetic Energy, kinetic energy is gathered from the movement of the human body, captured within a mechanism housed in the Spanner Head and liberated on demand.

For those who have been in our Industry for some time, you will have noticed the progression of Spanners over the years---first it was a rough Scaffold Key that was ill designed and tipped fingers and slipped of the nuts ( :nuts: ), then ergonomics kicked in and we were given a more workable tool, then the ratchet appeared, progression indeed---now the natural evolution of our Spanner has reached the stage where we are to be given a Powered Spanner that has the provision of a Torque Mechanism---now where have I heard that before--- "goggle" Scaffold Torque Spanner :eek:

Here in Birmingham I have seen a guy working for a company called Alpha Scaffolding using a battery powered torque wrench/drill. These things have been readily available for some time. When I was an electrician over 10 years ago I was working at the BMW/Mini plant at Hams Hall. The company I worked for supplied us with these tools for use to install lengths of Cable Tray and Ladder Trunking etc... I also believe that they are a common tool for car mechanics alike.

I don't think there has been any copyright/patent violations with regard to this. It makes sense to put a 7/16 socket on the end and use it but for me I prefer my trusty spanner anyday.

Leon

I agree these Drill have been available some time, however, they were not devised for the purposes of Scaffold Erection---the biz words here are, Torque Values, ergonomics design for use in Scaffold Erection and carbon foot print of power supply...how you gone to keep them down on the farm after they've seen Parie...if the provision of a Torqued Spanner is adopted then the Manual Operated Spanner will be consigned to the servicing of Fittings :eek:

while we're at it, anybody got a spare bubble for my level, and a left handed frog.

An impact drill is one idea for getting the torque settings right for the fittings but then again what happens when the battery starts goin, are you sure the last fitting is tight, how far do you need to go to get another battery and so on

aye, well Im waitin with bated breath for the next inteligance report coming in from the Manchester Scaffs who are using the impact drill---let the dog see the rabbit, why have we not heard of this initiative before now ???or has it just started---which Scaff Company is it ???---the plot thickens...

using the impact guns offshore , air fed ones, but only used for dismantling long term scaffolds, far better than ratchets and hammers, only down side is dragging the air hose about with you

HO02

Sound like a good piece of kit save for the trailing hose---which Company is using the air tool and on which Installation ???---I was looking at a similar Task i.e. cold cutting with air tools for Decommissioning.

Top Bottom