Suspended Scaffolds (2 Viewers)

wassers

Reaction score
Hello gents,
Can somebody point me in the right direction, I am looking for information on the correct/safe erection and dismantle of slung/suspended scaffolds.
Witnessed scaffs clipping on to the standard they were sliding down. No inertia reel. In the light of SG4:10 and current safety practices, advanced guardrails,scaff-steps,fully boarded lifts etc. This seems wrong.

Its all down to one document really, The Job Specific Risk Assessment...SG04:10 is simply not going to work in the suspended scaffold application.

I would challenge anyone to come up for a pre-guard rail system for a hanger or even a cantilever for that matter....

If you have a copy of SG4:10 you will see an operative on a hangar attached to a retrievable inertia reel. This is the recommended way as it incorporates rescue. However for a multi lift dropper you could use the scaffstep when installing the next lifts.

IF

Anyone know were I can get a copy of the sg4:10 ? Thanks

there are electronic versions available via the internet to download free. I for 1 am not going to tell you where to find it. I dont want my ass suing of Simon.

mite have to have an oogley googley then

If you have a copy of SG4:10 you will see an operative on a hangar attached to a retrievable inertia reel.

IF

If the inertia reel has a steel cable a webbing strop should be between the 'D' ring of the harness and the inertia connector.

Me, id clip on to the Standard, if there was no other way of doing it.

To be fair, the guys should have not only Inertia Reels, but also a decent rescue plan in place, because if rescuing someone whos fallen from an Independent can be tough - imagine trying to do so, from a Hanger that they just dropped onto and there were no Boards on it yet.

Nigh on impossible.

The standard procedure would be to use a fall retriever block until the lowest lift on a dropper was fully boarded and guardrailed.

As Simian said, you could then work your way back up, building the intermediate lifts using the safety step to achieve an AGR.

As any operation involving working at height, you'd need a fall prevention plan, fall recovery plan and a fall recovery risk assessment.

Top Bottom