Who wrote TG 20

chowson

Reaction score
Was asked today by site manager why the facade brace on the job dont look like the picture in the TG20,I,ve used a 16 across 3 standards 1 lift at a time dog legged up, instead of the 21 across 3 standards by 2 lifts as TG20.Surely its in everyones interest to use a more manageable tube than a 21 hanging over a handrail in the middle of town.So my question is if you can help,What more stabilty dose the way its shown in TG20 give over what I have done,because most people I,ve asked have said none including an engineer and a scaffold safety inspector,so why's it in there.?

tell im to go and fu ck himself mate a little information can be a dangerous thing like a picture to look at

That's the problem Chowson with non scaffs getting their hands on that book and looking at the pics without reading the text. The pictures are examples of possible solutions not the be all and end all. Best advice is take the book of him and give him something he can understand like the beano and leave the scaffolding to the men.:cool:

Had a site induction the other day, at the end of it he asked me what method of fall protection I was going to use.

I told him the stick method.

He said what!!!!

The stick I am going to poke you in the eye with so I can get on with my job :eek:

Was asked today by site manager why the facade brace on the job dont look like the picture in the TG20,I,ve used a 16 across 3 standards 1 lift at a time dog legged up, instead of the 21 across 3 standards by 2 lifts as TG20.Surely its in everyones interest to use a more manageable tube than a 21 hanging over a handrail in the middle of town.So my question is if you can help,What more stabilty dose the way its shown in TG20 give over what I have done,because most people I,ve asked have said none including an engineer and a scaffold safety inspector,so why's it in there.?

Doctor mike godley and Peter pallette wrote it alongside working party led by Iain nicholl.

as aom said non scaffs getting power,no matter how much theory they know they will never be able to think like a scaff work like a scaff or adapt like a scaff,unless they are broparapas PROPER ADVANCES.you could pick holes in all day long if you know your stuff.

Apart from the sway brace being closer to 45 degrees, although even our engineer reckons the difference between those angles is minimal

Was always told 45 degrees is the preffered angle for a brace. Trying to imagine a 2m.H. lift x 2 bays using a 16ft tube seems to me the brace would be very flat, don't think it would be fit for purpose, just my opinion, If it was a safety issue regarding protecting the public, would it not be better to brace extra bays using 10 ft tubes and keeping to the 45 degree angle. Thats the way I would do it.

You still can Brandy but you have to add additional plan brace. You really need an 18 or even a 21 for a double brace.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

The double bay brace should be over 2 lift heights as well.:idea:

Doctor mike godley and Peter pallette wrote it alongside working party led by Iain nicholl.
Cheers Ian for telling me who wrote it,so there are proper advanced scaffs then arnt they,never met a Dr in scaffolding.Its a shame the NASC dont ask working lads there opinion when writing TG's instead of the free loading badwagon riders they have who probably have not worked on site for a good while!!

but chowson they will tell you these fellows are the greatest minds in the industry,youl see them marching through a site all brand new ppe not a speck of dirt INSPECTING lol,i agree with you wholehartedly

If it was a safety issue regarding protecting the public, would it not be better to brace extra bays using 10 ft tubes and keeping to the 45 degree angle. Thats the way I would do it.

You still can Brandy but you have to add additional plan brace. You really need an 18 or even a 21 for a double brace.

By my reading of TG20, and our Engineers drawings, Brandy's way of doing it is fine, and probably a damn sight easier for the scaffolder to fix. As long as the braces connect within 300mm of the node point to the intermediate standard, I don't see a problem with using 2 seperate 10 ft. tubes instead of a single 21 ft. tube, other than it using 4 swivels instead of 3.

By my reading of TG20, and our Engineers drawings, Brandy's way of doing it is fine, and probably a damn sight easier for the scaffolder to fix. As long as the braces connect within 300mm of the node point to the intermediate standard, I don't see a problem with using 2 seperate 10 ft. tubes instead of a single 21 ft. tube, other than it using 4 swivels instead of 3.

Cheers mate thats what we,re doing from now on

Was always told 45 degrees is the preffered angle for a brace. Trying to imagine a 2m.H. lift x 2 bays using a 16ft tube seems to me the brace would be very flat, don't think it would be fit for purpose, just my opinion, If it was a safety issue regarding protecting the public, would it not be better to brace extra bays using 10 ft tubes and keeping to the 45 degree angle. Thats the way I would do it.

Brandy's right, a 16' would be to flat. On a scaled drawing on a pavement lift followed by a standard height lift a 21 would just about pick up the node points.I dont think you could achieve 45 deg unless you setting standards and lift heights to the same measure ment (2.1)

Sorry boys misunderstood what Brandy was saying. I assumed when you were using a 10' tube it was for a single bay which you can still do as long as it's between two ledger braced frames.

Give them a lorry load of gear and lets see how they build it.

I completley agree with whats said. I dont see how anyone can consider it safe to dangle a bloody great 21 up across 2 bays.

Top Bottom