SG4 Seminar

simian

Reaction score
Dear All,

Simian are holding a SG4 seminar on the 4th February. We are holding 2 x 2 hour sessions involving the following:

Presentation by Simon Hughes Technical Author

Practical Demonstrations involving all types featured in the guide.

Seminar is limited to 50 per session, tea and coffee, buffet and networking.

Booking form will be uploaded tomorrow for any interested parties, it will be a first come first served.

Ian

Ian,

do me a favour and at the end of the demo ask the 50 men what method they would prefer to use and not use,

only my opinion but i believe SG4 No's 58 and maybe 67 are the best and you dont need to cart the step about and not much extra gear??
comments gents?

iv not read it jakdan sorry mate,but a just want to stop the hemping over handrails practice.

Rumour is It's free on a first come first served basis.

C.f

Last edited:
That's very nice of ya Ian.

Nice to see feedback going back into the field.

Be nice to do full questions and answers aswell.

Ian,

do me a favour and at the end of the demo ask the 50 men what method they would prefer to use and not use,

only my opinion but i believe SG4 No's 58 and maybe 67 are the best and you dont need to cart the step about and not much extra gear??
comments gents?
Hi Ian
Will you also be updating the delegates with SG4:10.
or have I got your thread wrong, I have just received SG4:10 from Dave Mosley, Being a practical person and a trainer like yourself, I favour the step over the advanced Guardrail I find very few trainee scaffolders, who have came across a advanced Guardrail system never mind used one. We have to be realistic and imagine trying to use one on a major scaffolding project, anything to do with health and safety is welcomed within the industry. Small companies would have to weigh the cost of an advanced guardrail system against their turnover, this is why I have mentioned SG4:10 small scaffolding contractors can still easily fabricate a advanced guardrail as described in SG4:10.
Tommy

And there's far better collective protection on the Market than the step up device as hopefully Dave Abe will show the fast guard.

All operations will be demonstrated as stated above, Advanced Guardrail Systems, Advanced Guardrail tools and Advanced Guardrail Methods.

Ian

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

That's very nice of ya Ian.

Nice to see feedback going back into the field.

Be nice to do full questions and answers aswell.

Watch this space Simian lead, others follow.

Hi Ian
Will you also be updating the delegates with SG4:10.
or have I got your thread wrong, I have just received SG4:10 from Dave Mosley, Being a practical person and a trainer like yourself, I favour the step over the advanced Guardrail I find very few trainee scaffolders, who have came across a advanced Guardrail system never mind used one. We have to be realistic and imagine trying to use one on a major scaffolding project, anything to do with health and safety is welcomed within the industry. Small companies would have to weigh the cost of an advanced guardrail system against their turnover, this is why I have mentioned SG4:10 small scaffolding contractors can still easily fabricate a advanced guardrail as described in SG4:10.
Tommy

Hi Tom,

i believe the reason trainees have not come across AGS is that most companys have been blinkered towards the scaffstep, why i dont know?
As stated in my comments it is quite easy to bring in methods 58 and 67.
Method 58 will take a slight change in method to the standard erection sequence but will only involve the use of 2 extra 8' tubes and a half dozen doubles every 20' = no cost for step, no cost for propretry systems, and no cost for Fast guard, albeit good, very expensive.
you will also be topping off from a fully boarded platform and not a step.
What is the prefered method of your training center and why?

cheers

Hi Tom,

i believe the reason trainees have not come across AGS is that most companys have been blinkered towards the scaffstep, why i dont know?
As stated in my comments it is quite easy to bring in methods 58 and 67.
Method 58 will take a slight change in method to the standard erection sequence but will only involve the use of 2 extra 8' tubes and a half dozen doubles every 20' = no cost for step, no cost for propretry systems, and no cost for Fast guard, albeit good, very expensive.
you will also be topping off from a fully boarded platform and not a step.
What is the prefered method of your training center and why?

cheers

We dont have a preferred method in the centre as we have scaffolds erected with the layher AGR, the cheap and cheerful AGR made from tube, scaffstep ramsteel and combisafe, B Safe AGT, horizontal push along guardrail and finally inside hop up brackets and shortlift system. All method ststements and risk assessments support this

Ian

Will you be explaining the hse guidelines on the use of step ladders and be including the fatality statistics and major injuries caused while using steps :D. Will you also be including what the hse mentioned at the meeting in birmingham in october regarding steps

Last edited:
I take it thats a no then :D

Would you like to enlighten us on the HSE information first please. We are hoping to have Justine at the seminar and i'm sure she could answer any questions on stepladders. We will discuss the scaffstep a totally different product than a stepladder.

Ian

Stepladders
Before use
Before you use a stepladder, first ask yourself: am I fit to work at height? Then think about the condition and the position of the ladder.

A stepladder in good condition has:

Feet firmly attached
Clean treads
Secure locking devices
Secure fastenings when it is extended
A stepladder in a good position:

Is fully open
Is locked into place
Will not move at the bottom. See good practice in pictures
Stands on a surface that is:
firm
level (see the diagrams below for safe limits on slopes)
clear
dry
not slippery
In use
Only work on a stepladder for a maximum of 15 - 30 minutes at a time
Only carry light materials and tools (up to 10 kg)
Do not overreach - make sure your belt buckle (navel) stays within the stiles
Keep both feet on the same rung or step throughout the task
Make sure you have a safe handhold available on the steps
Avoid side-on working, see good practice in pictures
Is a ladder right for the job?
If you are not sure that it is right to use a ladder speak to your supervisor or the safety representative.

Employers and self employed people contact HSE Infoline on 0845 345 0055

Further reading
INDG402 - Safe use of ladders and stepladders
This guidance helps employers, the self-employed and people who work from ladders:
know when to use a ladder
decide how select the right sort of ladder for the job;
understand how to use it
know how to look after it
take sensible safety precautions.

So are you saying it isn;t classed as a step ladder and that none of this guidance is relevant to scaff step. Ian there were some major concerns raised in Birmingham in October with the HSE surely these should have been recognised by yourselves as co authors of SG4:10.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Would you like to enlighten us on the HSE information first please. We are hoping to have Justine at the seminar and i'm sure she could answer any questions on stepladders. We will discuss the scaffstep a totally different product than a stepladder.

Ian

Well at least theres going to be someone there to offer clarification although you would have hoped it would have been the authors

Last edited:
are you going to to put 60 hemps in over this advance gaurdrail once youve demoed it ian??im more than fed up with this crazy practice,hemping used to be technique now its just brutal strength,theres got to be an alternative.

are you going to to put 60 hemps in over this advance gaurdrail once youve demoed it ian??im more than fed up with this crazy practice,hemping used to be technique now its just brutal strength,theres got to be an alternative.

I think before these people start writing their new theories on how scaffold should be erected they should spend a week working with scaffolders. :D. These people that have never turned a spanner in their lives do not belong in this industry. Present company accepted I.F we know you've done your bit:D

Top Bottom