NASC Safety Alert (1 Viewer)

Scaff
thanks for that info mate, i was on NASC web-site on Numerous occasions, however, that got by me.

As Scaff has just proved, you must keep your eye on the ball at all times, blink a few times, and, oops its through your legs, and then it's gone.

This is my 100th post, i didnt realise i could blabber on as much:blink:

Thanks again scaff m8.

The reason i probably missed these, 'Safety alerts' m8 is because our company are not NASC members, and i just Browse for latest info, i must not have access to the full package m8.

Are Gin wheels covered with the LOLER ? if They are, these issues should have been flagged up, well before the incident.

Thanks for the Info again m8, and glad you can now view the Doc.

Regards
Paddy

Scaff

Re: Harness

Thanks for the heads up on this one Scaff---does this revelation imply that all harnesses that has not got the provision of elasticated shoulder straps are un-fit-for -purpose ?. Furthermore, did the research include the loosening of the straps in the groin area ?.

The data on the Safety Alert is Rather vague---it states that the harness shoulder straps work loose over the period of a work day, I personally do not ware my harness (all day) during brakes I either take it off and or adjust it for comfort and re-deploy for a snug fit before springing aloft. Therefore, how long did ti take to loosen, i.e. 1/2 hour---1 hour.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Scaff

Re: Gin Wheel

Yes, it certainly was an eye opener, just shows that a visual examination/inspection is insufficiant, a more physical and rigorous examination/inspection is required. Let us not forget the visual and physical examination/inspection of the allied rope by physically opening the three sheets and examining the rogues yarn for deterioration.

Hi Guys

Gin wheels are contained within the LOLER context, so really this accident should never of occured.

The potential scope of LOLER is extremely wide covering any equipment used at work for lifting or lowering loads including attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it. Lifting equipment includes such equipment as cranes, forklift trucks, goods lifts, construction site hoists, mobile elevating work platforms, vehicle inspection hoists, gin wheels, ropes, chain, slings, eye bolts, etc.

RE: Harness
I have had the experiance ( several times ) where one of my leg straps have come undone while bending over, this comes about by the wearing of my belt on top of my harness, for this reason, as i dont know. and i have seen nothing to say otherwise. Should the Harness be worn over the tool belt?

A straw poll of the forum, would be interesting, Over or Under.

Paddy

For my money it has to be belt over harness or your restricting access to your tools, plus if you fall with your belt inside your harness surely the tools are gonna be driven against your body with the potential for even more serious harm. Haven't we got enough problems with restricted blood supply and fall injuries without adding to it LOL

stef m8
thanks for your post m8, i know there are Harnesses that incorporate a tool belt, however, ££££ as always. As i have stated, wearing of the Scaffolders belt over the harness, if worn as it should be, is IMO more restrictive than under, give it a bash m8, spanners thread through junction of shoulderand leg straps, same with the Blob on the other end. This is more comfortable and takes the added stress off your shoulders if reaching up all day.

After all guys, we are still here chatting, we dont adopt the habit of, we are wearing a Harness, so if i fall, so be it;)

Paddy & Stef

Is there a case where we could Design a Harness specifically for Scaffs ?

Full Body + Frogs + Traumas Suppression Strips + Hi-Viz + led Lights for low visibility and confined spaces. any thing else ???

Garry
I have the full body harness that is incorporated within a Hi- Vis waistcoat, i also use affixed the Barracuda Manyard, this is all down to my personal preferance I.e. comfort, these items have all been purchased by myself, albeit, with discount after the old H&S rep spiel, however, i can not find anything i would endorse as 'Scaffolder Friendly'. currently back to my A+P supplied harness, as per album pic :p
Paddy

Can anyone advise me where the best place to get a Barracuda manyard from. We used them at the Construction College and I find them to be better than the scaffolder hook. Thx in advance :)

Leon

Paddy Carr is the Man to ask for info on the Barracuda---he uses one, a pritty niffy peice of kit...

re: harness design, as you said garry but with a self inflating life vest, we had to wear harness, spanners, hi viz & life vest on top, very cumbersome:)

Top Bottom