fixing of ladder internal on scaffold platform.

There is a thread regarding these and other types, I don't want to get too into it as scaffy will be on boasting about the short artic trailers they use.:eek: I just fancied the hiaab to get in to gardens.

horses for courses my friend the hiab is a very good piece of kit , i take it you upgrading to HGV , friends of mine have the old brewery artics they are also handy pieces of kit, i just think with the roll onoff you can do more contracting out haulage wise if you looking for work

Take yer belt off and breath in.:huh:

There is a thread regarding these and other types, I don't want to get too into it as scaffy will be on boasting about the short artic trailers they use.:eek: I just fancied the hiaab to get in to gardens.

why not just reverse up the drive.....:D best I've seen are benchmarkscaffolding lorries, multi lift with hiabs...

Not boasting boys , have had hiabs with flats , cable lifts , hook loaders and artics , the artic gives more flexability for our sort of work
Prime example 35 blokes serviced by artic , 7.5 ton and a transit
Works best for me !!

Actually when we erect multi lift working platform scaffold and fix the ladder more then one, we fix ladder from lower platform to above/over platform access from internally through out platform and left the gape to access over working platform,
We want to know, should the access gape be barricaded, where as I have got training see drawing of scaffold never seen gape barricaded.
So please clear us more with full details.

Last edited:
Actually when we erect multi lift working platform scaffold and fix the ladder more the one, we fix ladder from lower platform to above/over platform access from internally through out platform and left the gape to access over working platform,
We want to know, should the access gape be barricaded, where as I have got training see drawing of scaffold never seen gape barricaded.
So please clear us more with full details.

Hi Attak, there is no law that says you must use these gates or trap doors but there is a law that says the ladder gap must be protected. You can do this in a variety of ways including staggering gates made from butts to divert traffic away from the ladder gap or more easily using a ladder tower where space permits. I get the feeling from the hse they will not be happy until we are all using stair treads and will be one of the first things they look at should they come on your site but there is not a lot they can say if you have some sort of protection in place. I'm not sure which thread it was but as per usual Ken Cain said it best when discussing this issue earlier, it might be worth searching through his posts for more detailed advice.

Im new on here, and as the owner of a small scaffolding company, its great to have access to like minded people. Ladder access is always one of our local safety officers concerns, and we are never 100% sure of the legal situation.

welcome to the forum johnford it is a goldmine of information and i have learnt a lot of stuff i never new even being in the game for 31 years , where about you based ?

The window lickers we have for management decided that if we aren't erecting a stair then a separate ladder bay with trap door AND gates must be fitted.

I am in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Ive been scaffolding since 1986. I am now director of a small scaffolding company on the Island. Im also still on the tools, not in a cosy office!

Had a **** day, one of the other firms directors/scaffolder fell off yesterday and died. Tragic. He was a well liked bloke.

Last edited:
oh dear i hate bad news, was it 1 of your scaffolds?

I am in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Ive been scaffolding since 1986. I am now director of a small scaffolding company on the Island. Im also still on the tools, not in a cosy office!

Had a **** day, one of the other firms directors/scaffolder fell off yesterday and died. Tragic. He was a well liked bloke.
Its posted on the forum today, My condolences to fellow scaff. RIP.

No, it was a different company. Its the first, and hopefully the last death in our industry on the Island.

condolences to the family involved it could be any one of us

yeah condolences to those close to him.

welcome aboard john.

back to topic , has anyone seen those fold out stairs peri have , they fold out from size of say an average size home printer into steps you then just handrail it .

cant remember if it only fits their system scaffold or not, but great little steps 3ft wide and normal depth height of stairs

Alright chaps, new to the forum thought I'd chuck my 2 peneth in.

The reason the old yellow hats are pushing for stair towers over the ladders, is the need to get some one back on the deck should they hurt them selves on the job. Theory being it's easier to get someone down a flight of stairs than a series of ladders, should they not be capable of getting them selves down. Site management also have to do a rescue plan for their operatives and it's easier to do when they can rely on a stair tower.

Not quite sure, but I'm fairly certain that C.D.M regs state that should a scaffold/ temporary work platform be up for more than 3 months it should have a stair tower on it?

Top Bottom