Checks on ties?

1969scaff

Reaction score
Right here's a good one,putting box ties in around steel total of eight doubles,voice from above"you have to put checks on"What? Yes we had to put them on,so on one elevation with five ties per lift ,six lifts,that's? Correct 480 doubles!!When questioned why they have to be checked got told it's new regs,my reply was of course ********! Any one heard of this before?Same on splice,got to use four swivs per splice or in some cases six,Jesus what are they expecting to happen a nuclear blast?It's scaffolding gone mad.

all depends on the design mate.. but a splice should have 2 fittings either side min as standard.

When did this all come into effect? Must have missed in in the SCAFFOLDERS GAZETTE.Ever get the feeling we are still like mushrooms?

Right here's a good one,putting box ties in around steel total of eight doubles,voice from above"you have to put checks on"What? Yes we had to put them on,so on one elevation with five ties per lift ,six lifts,that's? Correct 480 doubles!!When questioned why they have to be checked got told it's new regs,my reply was of course ********! Any one heard of this before?Same on splice,got to use four swivs per splice or in some cases six,Jesus what are they expecting to happen a nuclear blast?It's scaffolding gone mad.

And what are these mystical new regs? are they on about TG:20-08, and if so, is it a designed scaffold, that the designer has specified that checks are needed for the box tie, seems a bit extreme to me mate.

No design, independent,seven lifts,fully boarded,based out for two board hop ups(five standards per board on the hop ups) Monarflex on the outside. Was under the impression fully sheeted jobs had to go to design over 13mtrs.

I thought all sheeted jobs should be designed regardless of height, could be wrong though.

Class A doubles, pull apart force 20kn=2ton. So my understanding is that if Class A doubles were used and the restraining force on the scaffold required greater than 2 ton then checks would be needed. If the restraining force required was say 30kn=3ton then Class B doubles could be used without checks.

In TG20:08 you can build a fully sheeted independent scaffold with no design but the ties may require 1 or more check fittings (depending on the height of the scaffold and its location). Heavy duty ties in TG20:08 are classified as 12.2 kN meaning you would need 2 class A doubles or swivels (SWL 6.1 kN). The SWL of a class B double is 9.1 kN. Some tie duties specified in TG20:08 are over 12.2 kN so would require more than 1 check fitting.
Hope this helps.

Every day is a school day biffo, so thanks for that I might have to actually read that one day.:eek:

When you have to check ties what strain do you put on the pull test for the actual tie?

AOM,

There is an NASC document TG4:04 that has the recommended procedures for testing of ties. They recommend a test load of at least 1.5 times the required tensile load. For standard ties into brickwork or concrete this is probably best. The required tensile tie loading would need to be obtained from the specific design or from TG20:08.

Yeah I've read that one biffo but I thought if you had to check your ties you would need a design. Obviously not, thanks again.

I've seen a few designs where there was 8 check doubles on ledger braces, now surely the gate of the master double would failed before the check doubles where put under great strain?

surely of the eight check doubles three or four of them would be negligable, dont they go down by half of the swl on each check so they would be minus in the end??

just trying to get some posts in mate .off work again today . bored.
but yes i am trying to get a rise , iv been freezing my balls off at scotch corner all day waiting for rumple , lol

No design, independent,seven lifts,fully boarded,based out for two board hop ups(five standards per board on the hop ups) Monarflex on the outside. Was under the impression fully sheeted jobs had to go to design over 13mtrs.

seven lifts fully boarded, how many are working lifts?

Does it matter now a day's, again I thought if it was boarded you had to count it as a working lift.

Top Bottom