Types of scaffs. (1 Viewer)

1969scaff

Reaction score
As someone who has been scaffolding for over 40 years,and still throwing it up!I,as we all have,have met loads of scaffs over the years,some great characters,some not so great,some you run a mile from.These days there seem to be certain "types",lads who can throw the footage in and put up neat safe jobs and care about what they are doing,lads who can throw it up ,fairly neat,but not really that bothered about how it looks and of course the ones who put crap up and don't give a ***** about any one or anything!They usually start the day with "what time are we getting off?"Anyway that's just my view and don't get me started on the new breed of young so called scaffs,most would have lasted about half a day in the good old days before being knocked out by the scaffolders!!

1969 Scaff, Guessing your at the game 41 years, congrats, Myself 45 years. Like yourself I've met and worked with some great scaffs over the years and also some chancers, but I think you find the chancers don't last, their either found out or move on to something else. It's a tough game but I always liked it, would'nt know how to do anything else.

As someone who has been scaffolding for over 40 years,and still throwing it up!I,as we all have,have met loads of scaffs over the years,some great characters,some not so great,some you run a mile from.These days there seem to be certain "types",lads who can throw the footage in and put up neat safe jobs and care about what they are doing,lads who can throw it up ,fairly neat,but not really that bothered about how it looks and of course the ones who put crap up and don't give a ***** about any one or anything!They usually start the day with "what time are we getting off?"Anyway that's just my view and don't get me started on the new breed of young so called scaffs,most would have lasted about half a day in the good old days before being knocked out by the scaffolders!!

True mate.

But you'll find the same in any profession, anywhere.

Some people care, some don't. Some are good, some are not.

I think the only exception is in the public sector where nobody is good, and nobody cares!

There's good, there's bad, there's the best, there's the worst, worked and managed most of them,
some boys, have had me in awe at what they can do,:amazed::idea:
and some at what they cant,:cry:
older lads are definately finer, however had some good young lads when put with the right hands, (given a slap when required and been able to take it)
turn out to be descent hands, and so the wheel of life carries on.

P.S take me hat off to boys your ages who are still going and enjoying it,
only 23 years in the game (just a youth ;)) i was born the year before you started

Last edited:
I think that's a fair assessment 1969scaff. As others suggest I would say such is life.

I hope you have a couple of the young team to do the heavy stuff for you, 40 years is a long time to be doing this job, your either very fit or very determined, either way let the young boy's take the strain and get yourself a good impact wrench, I hear they are the latest fad.:eek:

I no where your coming from 69 scaff.iv been scaff since 86 and seen a few idiots over the years like young guns that have belts on for 12 months then all of a sudden think there superstars and when you tell them there doing it wrong they look at you as if you are stupid ,if they took the time to listen to some of the older exp lads they could possibly end up half decent scaffs

See a guy walking down the street with the full kit on an you know he's not long at the game. I'm often amused by the amount of gear hanging from these guys belts that it makes you wonder how they can walk let alone climb. Why would you want to carry something your not going to use on the job.

luckily enough i had my uncle at my side who didnt even let me have a tool belt for the first 2 years. But i respect him for what being on the rope, labouring and constant loading out taught me and as i have said before where he has been in the game for 35 years he has slowed down and i do most of the fixing now. We are a pretty quite gang always have a laugh of course but we always try and make a good impression on our jobs. As my uncs always said to me take the time and patience to learn the game and you will respect and enjoy it alot more which im glad to say has finally sunk in

Aye Brandy your so right mate, when i am back home and see these guys with all the tools i wonder why, when i started in Kincardine Power Station we made our frogs out of air hose only had 7/16 and half inch spanners wi a podger tucked in your belt, there were not many levels either and the ones that had were the wooden one with the brass strip.

and that wooden blob went in the back pocket of your jeans next to 20 parkdrive , i remember it well

Anyone remember the leather hinges on the old telephone box'es, best of leather, made great frogs.

and that wooden blob went in the back pocket of your jeans next to 20 parkdrive , i remember it well

I could only afford 10 tabs, and i got a plastic level given off my mate at the Gas board, i made a frog for it by cutting off the high leg on a old pair of Doc Martins. :D

Bang on brandy, couldnt agree with you more mate.Some of those guys had a struggle getting through the ladder gap they had that much gear on their belts.I personally only carry what i need ie, level,adjustable,tape,chalk,and when on price 2 spanners,just in case I dropped 1 so i could carry on working with the other.

Top Bottom