Help in becoming a chartered engineer! (1 Viewer)

Ryan_Berry

Reaction score
To all that can be of some assistance,

I just wondered if there was anyone on this forum at the moment working towards or is of chartered engineer status (there are very few around in scaffolding as I am sure you are all aware) as a 'scaffold desinger' / 'temporary works' engineer who can help in the process.

A little background to me: -
I have been working in the scaffold design sector for almost 7 years now. Currently a manager at scaffold designs limited in sheffield and studying part time. I have recently completed my BSc and am currently in my first year of the Masters Degree at Leeds University. I have another 2 years left and it is taking its toll after 9 years of part time study to get this far and am sick to death of seeing differential to the 6th order :mad:

Is anyone else in this position or been in this position who is aware of a quicker way to chartership other than the masters route? The CPD route is not possible at my age as you can only get chartership by 'experience' and report route I believe at 35 years old. The ICE and IStructE are extremely difficult to get chartered in unless you have experience in permanenet works design and/or worked on site for a period of time as it will be impossible to get through the chartered professional review and exam.

I don't believe there are any other ways as all of the institutes run through the Engineering Council but someone may know a way and would love to know if there is.

Any assistance in this area would be appreciated.

Ryan Berry

Hi Ryan, Yes I did it some time ago but I'm not aware of any shortcuts. Fortunately I got through the experience appraisal route with only a traditional Civils degree before they introduced masters requirement. CPR is not as bad as it sounds and you don't need permanent works design or site necessarily. You do need all round experience and site clearly helps but if you're managing an office then you will demonstrate most of what you need. Don't get too hung up on the masters thing - most of my designers have masters and it makes little to no difference. But stick at it - its worth its weight in £'s and you can't buy it!

Thanks for that. The advice is much appreciated it's just the whole process to me seems more pretentious than it should be and the proof of a good engineer is in what he/she does in the working environment and not behind a desk. This may seem quite blunt but there seems to be very few answers out there.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Ryan,

I am in a similar situation, its not about how old you are or necessarily what experience you have, it whether you can satisfy your ICE training mentor that you have reached the necessary level in each of the development objectives set out in the ICE 3000 documents. If you have then your mentor can recommend you for review.

That said, the minimum educational base changed (as mentioned above) from BEng (Hons) to MEng in 2004 from an ICE accredited University (I know this as I graduated with A BEng Hons in Civ Eng in 2004 and didn't stay on to do a masters). So, you are right in a way to continue with your MEng to achieve this level.

However, I have been designing scaffolding & temp. works for 7+ years now since graduating and I recently decided that I would re-assess my training with the ICE. I contacted my local ICE rep and arranged a meeting. They were really helpful and went through the various options available; whether to pursue CEng or IEng basically. I am not convinced that the effort to get to CEng rather than IEng is worth it, certainly in basic terms of cost/time vs. overall benefit/status. Thats something for you to decide I suppose. I would definately recommend getting the ICE 3000 docs (if you've not got them already) and contacting your local ICE rep - I found the Yorks & Humberside groups really good when I was up there.

Good luck and I hope the studying works out. I feel for you with the advanced calculus, I used to hate it. I sear I have never used Laplace transforms or Fourier series since the day I left Uni!!

Ben.

Top Bottom