SGB; good or bad company to work for

There were a few good faces at GB in Nottingham, John Thorpe, Simon, Nick Harnet, Dave Carter, John Beeston. Worked for SGB for many a year things change, move on.

SGB were a fantastic company to work for in the 80's, every big job in London was SGB, we worked for the Powered access division, Powerchem, Special Projects, Contracts the list goes on. The guys we worked with were legends, the jobs were great .They were a forward thinking company in their day. I think Lyndon scaffold are the only company now that come close to their original ethic.

Anybody who has worked for both I am sure would agree.

Just joined

hi all, who said this scaffolding game is easy???

In the game since 1973, street, site, refinery, shutdowns, etc, I am trying to locate an old pal Bob Batten originally from Battersea in London, we worked on Palmers for many years (Charlton Branch) and ended up in New Zealand working on an Oil Refinery (Marsden Point).

If anybody knows him or has worked with him in the past or present and can help me contact him would be great.

Thanks in advance.

"I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer"

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Did not work for GB's direct but sub to them in the mid eighties and agree good company however the best firm I worked for in them days was GKN out of the Hammersmith branch and City branch fantastic bunch of guy's on there and a laugh a minute for the "wind ups".

"You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough."

I worked as a QS for SGB 83-91 London Region. They were the best company around at the time. You can mark the start of their decline with the Mowlem take over in '91. From then on H/O at Mitcham was redeveloped and sold off, depots closed, and much of the good staff (managers and scaff's) moved off elsewhere. The true SGB can now only be a fond (distant) memory for us all.

i work for sgb luton depot 77 to 85 great company the best training and if work was tight they placed you at other depots even got offshore with them and we are 100 miles from the near coast who would do that now days

Worked for SGB Leeds in the 60`s and in the early 70`s was transferred to Jersey for 4 weeks to do the stands for the Battle of Flowers, liked Jersey so much stopped for 5 years, in this time also worked for SGB Guernsey & did 4 weeks in Amsterdam [Thats another story],later went back to Leeds depot as estimator [under Ray Tracey]. Not all management are muppets some of us have been there on the podger and walked the walk:p:p

hi all, who said this scaffolding game is easy???

In the game since 1973, street, site, refinery, shutdowns, etc, I am trying to locate an old pal Bob Batten originally from Battersea in London, we worked on Palmers for many years (Charlton Branch) and ended up in New Zealand working on an Oil Refinery (Marsden Point).

If anybody knows him or has worked with him in the past or present and can help me contact him would be great.

Thanks in advance.

"I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer"

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Did not work for GB's direct but sub to them in the mid eighties and agree good company however the best firm I worked for in them days was GKN out of the Hammersmith branch and City branch fantastic bunch of guy's on there and a laugh a minute for the "wind ups".

"You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough."

Bob Batten is alive and well and now working in Egypt.
He is on this forum under the name "Big Bad Bob" although he is not Big more Short and Wide lol
PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

I worked for SGB in 92/94 Brighton , PROMIS,D the world an got nothing ,BAD BAD COMPANY :mad:

Maybe a bit earlier than that but did you ever meet a Pete Hayler?

Only worked for SGB for a couple of weeks. Had no problems exept the lads I were working with were clueless. Charghand didn't even know how to use band and plate properly. Fook knows how he got his card. I tried to tell him but wouldn't listen.
I jacked cuz I couldn't work with him

I still work for Arseco and have seen all the changes in the last 6-7 years. Shocking decline in the last 3 - sacked loads of management staff who alledgedly earned too much! But they have a solution - replaced them with Soldiers & Salesmen! If we go to war again just send in Harsco...Current MD and UK Director have never worked in construction let alone scaffolding - saddens the heart to see the lack of direction and incompetence at the top. Almost everybody I know is talking about leaving if there were more jobs to go to - as for me when the work turns I'm off - not the company they used to be:sad2: Can't see them turning this one around...

SGB:love:

Harsco:evil:

Yes Kevin is still [running] the contracts in Leeds, When i first knew him he was a jobsworth working for the hire and sales division under Gavin Bainton none of these people would have lasted 2 minutes under Major Flood :mad:

Top Bottom