Scaffolder Falls. (1 Viewer)

brandy

Reaction score
Is there any statistics available of the number of reported incidents of scaffolders falling during the course of their work. (Pre harness days and no guardrail on non working lifts) Were scaffolders of old knowing the danger more careful, I know falling from heights was a big percentage of death and injury in construction, but I would be interested in knowing what percentage of those were scaffolders.

i new the lad that died falling with a scaffold collapse on the dumplington site.he was known as raggy,worked with him at heywood in 89,i believe the lift shaft tower he was on,collapsed.r.i.p raggy mate.theres one for your blood list.

Had a big fall myself 6yrs ago,year off work still feeling the pain while working.Please always wear a harness clip to the scaffold not your harness!!!

my dad fell from a hanger underneath a railway bridge in nottingham probably 1986ish , fell 13ft on lines below and smashed his skull and right arm, very very lucky to live, no harnesses in them days! his scaffold days were well and trully over. he said he was lucky there was no train coming:D

Is there any statistics available of the number of reported incidents of scaffolders falling during the course of their work. (Pre harness days and no guardrail on non working lifts) Were scaffolders of old knowing the danger more careful, I know falling from heights was a big percentage of death and injury in construction, but I would be interested in knowing what percentage of those were scaffolders.

like ive said in previous threads the harness could save your life when i was
starting off in the game for sgb we lost 2 lads on seperate falls at kingsnorth
powerstation kent rip charlie waltham and rip patward knew charlie really well
both exsperience scaffolders you only get one chance without a harness.

my dad fell from a hanger underneath a railway bridge in nottingham probably 1986ish , fell 13ft on lines below and smashed his skull and right arm, very very lucky to live, no harnesses in them days! his scaffold days were well and trully over. he said he was lucky there was no train coming:D

Your old man still busy ash, he must have SkegVegas sown up:D

well during the sccr meeting with the hse , Simon Hughes presented these facts:
1999 - 93 falls
2009 - 20 falls
78% reduction in falls in 10 years but it was also stated that as scaffolding never had its own class these earlier rates were disguised under scaffolding . So no real figures for earlier to be exact..
that is also based on an increase of 18.6% in operatives 10,699 - 13,124 where these figures came from I dont know.

Painters were the biggest fallers nwn to man back in the 80s :nuts:

well during the sccr meeting with the hse , Simon Hughes presented these facts:
1999 - 93 falls
2009 - 20 falls
78% reduction in falls in 10 years but it was also stated that as scaffolding never had its own class these earlier rates were disguised under scaffolding . So no real figures for earlier to be exact..
that is also based on an increase of 18.6% in operatives 10,699 - 13,124 where these figures came from I dont know.

Was that not just nasc member companies Steve? The figure was collated to justify beefing up sg4.

yes mate you was there aswell and you know these figures are totally true after all Simon says.lol.

abbreviation

hey paddy carr you said abbreviation such a long word its from Latin brevis and it means short lol :blink1:

I know 2 scaffs that has fallen 1, 70 odd ft broke alot of bones and still scaffolding ,the other fell 6 ft broke his neck paraylised from neck down harness wouldnt of helped him

more accidents from people falling from ladders than scaffolding, through the 60/70/s,the rate for anyone in the construction industry, was rough painters ,on the anchor site construction in scunthorpe painters where dropping like flies,

I personally doubt harnesses account for decreasing stats for
Falls I would imagine something as simple as the
Introduction of double handrail would have cut the number of falls
Especially in other trades falling of the scaffold

Unfortunatley, here in WA, a scaffolder lost his life due to wearing a harness, because the section of scaffold he was hooked onto collasped into the ocean and took him down to the bottom..he was only 15 ft above the water. RIP Mate.

Terrible, I have heard of something similar in the past but not for a long time.

sad news dares win condolances too the poor lads family

this information just clarifies the job is dangerous ,so no matter where we come from it applies to us all

Top Bottom