becoming a scaffold lecturer (5 Viewers)

richard challis

Reaction score
could anyone please give me any information on or how to get qualified to teach such courses i currently have a pasma card part2 and cscs card.any info would be very helpful many thanks

minimum nvq 3 ie advanced, a1 adult learning certificate, then you need to shadow an instructor on each of the 3 courses, i think you have to be assesed at end of each course, i am thinking of doing it myself, i am lucky as a good friend of mine already does instructing:)

Spot on advice Orac m8

There was a opening at Newcastle college, last year for a lecturer in Scaffolding. As you say A1 assessor award, Advanced Scaffolder NVQ 3,full CRB check then there was a sliding pay scale as you got more qualified, and gained higher teaching qualifications, however, the starting salary was only in the region of 22k per annum.

Paddy

Anybody know if a fella called John Martin is lecturing at newcastle college..

Dont know if John Martin is there, but before xmas they were after one lecturer and one or Two teachers for the scaffolding dept

Paddy

Sounds a great option for people who would like to put something back into the game,or for the rest of us with aching joints every morning.

I am currently going through the A! Assessor training through my company, it is pretty intense stuff for an old git like me but i'm getting there!! to give a quick guide 1 portfolio with 3 candidates evidence etc, then check the evidence,plan for evidence, knock back if not good enough, recheck and it keeps on going... PS only a snippet of what is required but looking forward to finishing in.......ehhhh next 2010,12345.... i will let you know when it happens, dont hold breath...

Good luck on it Scootay, always nice to see another scaff stepping up a notch and attempting to give summat back

John Martin is no longer at Newcastle. He is sub contracting and works in Cumbria much of the time.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Hiya Richard. You will also need to some teacher training and the minimum is PTLLS which you will almost certainly find at your local college.
NASC etc are currently updating instructor requirements so this may change.

good luck

could anyone please give me any information on or how to get qualified to teach such courses i currently have a pasma card part2 and cscs card.any info would be very helpful many thanks
PTLLS is now seen as a minimum for most teaching, for scaffolding CISRS you need to be Advanced level. However with your PASMA card (if over 12 months) you could look at doing the PASMA Instructor course? It costs but if your looking at crossing into the dark side of teaching option to consider plus you can also do this as a freelance option which may be of interest. see pasma website for more info.

But then is it ally towers your really look to teach or Tube & Fit?

Hope this helps

Last edited:
well ive just done my Pttls and my A1, done my shadowing with Kevin Morris @ UTN and guess what ,,they have now changed the criteria so you have to take 12 part 1's before you can shadow a part 2 then take 12 part 2's before you can shadow a advanced ....And the best bit ...Who the F*** does back to back part1's for 6mths solid....??????AT this moment in time im wondering if the 4 grand it has cost me was worth it.......that is including loss of earnings... Only 1 man knows and that is Dave Mosley at NASC ....can ya get hold of him ? does he reply to any emails???? dus he F***.....all ya get dave is in a meeting today....What exactly are NASC playing at????? Then to top it off INSTUCTORS CARDS AR BEING REMOVED so no instuctors will av proof of who they are...ITS A JOKE ( NASC AND CISRS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.)

Steve

Yet another example of the powers that be in our industry being far removed from what is actually happening out there!!

To carry out what is required in your situation you would have to jump from different training establishments every 2 weeks and on a national basis shadowing instructors to stand a chance....pure craziness!!

Steve

Thanks for the up-date information---WHO the feck makes this arbitory decisions---NO Discussions---NO Joint Consultation---how much can OUR Industry take---come ahead CITB/NASC get the kettle on and lets have a wee chin wag eh ?. OR is the alternative to create a NEW Association ???

Garry...

looking for work

alrite guys any1 looking for scaffs in glasgow or surrounding areas, im getting bored not working

well ive just done my Pttls and my A1, done my shadowing with Kevin Morris @ UTN and guess what ,,they have now changed the criteria so you have to take 12 part 1's before you can shadow a part 2 then take 12 part 2's before you can shadow a advanced ....And the best bit ...Who the F*** does back to back part1's for 6mths solid....??????AT this moment in time im wondering if the 4 grand it has cost me was worth it.......that is including loss of earnings... Only 1 man knows and that is Dave Mosley at NASC ....can ya get hold of him ? does he reply to any emails???? dus he F***.....all ya get dave is in a meeting today....What exactly are NASC playing at????? Then to top it off INSTUCTORS CARDS AR BEING REMOVED so no instuctors will av proof of who they are...ITS A JOKE ( NASC AND CISRS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.)

So the reality is you have spend 72wks teaching and 6wks shadowing to achieve instructor status. This will benefit the CITB and training providers as most of the courses will be delivered by "trainee instructors" on a salary significantly lower than a "Qualified Instructor".

It will also tie trainees into training centers for around 2yrs before they can train abroad or on a freelance basis. It makes sense from NASC/CITB point of view but IMO it will prove a step to far for many experienced scaffs wanting to give something back and follow an Instructor career path :(

what are NASC playing at and whoever is in charge of making all these rediculous changes needs to be reviewed to see if he or she are not mentally insane 12 weeks 12 weeks 12 weeks were as this come from another f*** up by NASC the proffesionals

Sounds like its a bid to deter anybody wanting to become an assessor,closing ranks i think,very few people can afford such time off,to pursue this career.:mad:

and taking the instructor cards off them that can be legal. they just do what they want, because they dont after answer to anyone or anybody

Last I heard was the new istructor thing is possibly being reviewed hence official version not being issued out.

im still waiting for a reply to the 1st email i sent to dave 4 weeks ago. ive phoned Nasc on various occations and the lovely ladies have promised to try to help clarifly this situation up . The lady I spoke to yesterday said dave is now on holiday for 2 weeks . so she is taking this to the president of nasc ( whoever he is ) bet he's got a bentley and 200k year. To hopefully shed some light on this matter.

Then after they have removed instuctors cards all instuctors will be kept on a database except only Dave Mosely can have access to this..( whats all this about) so it looks like ( im waiting for this ) could all instuctor please pay £££££'ssss to have your details put on the database. Then if you are an accredited centre please pay nasc £££££'ss for access to this database....

THE WHOLE THING IS A F***ING RIP OFF.... I bet nasc wont re-inburse me for the money that ive shelled out and the loss of earnings ive incurred ....

Just enjoy the posh hotels everynight and spending ££££'ssss on the expenses wont ya......

I believe the instuctors card wont be renewed after expiry... even if you are and instuctor at the moment you have to pay £23.50 to get your instuctors card renewed then you still have to re-new your advanced card and still sit a touch screen test and then shell out for a first aid ticket....The whole thing is a rip off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom