has the minimum height changed

Gaz,I believe 950mm is minimum to Top ,470 between handrails.I was told euro regs wanted to make it 1mtr,but compromised with hse because of the massive changes that would have effected other plant,eg, mewps.

Last edited:
Cheers Frederick. I thought that was right in the first place lol. I shouldnt read this section of the forum, its all so confusing lol :confused:

:rolleyes:Strange thing tho Gaz, 2X470 =940......950 easy to remember...

we had some young little P*ick on site today(safety inspector)
he took great pleasure in telling us the minimum height of the top handrail has changed to 1090mm on 01 09 2010
can anyone confirm this

If guard rails move up to 1090, none of the system scaffolds will work.
Cups set at 500 increments = 1.0m from top of transom to top of top rail less the boards 38mm =962mm.

Think there would be a lot of happy people out there with system scaffolds??
regards
Alan

If guard rails move up to 1090, none of the system scaffolds will work.
Cups set at 500 increments = 1.0m from top of transom to top of top rail less the boards 38mm =962mm.

Think there would be a lot of happy people out there with system scaffolds??
regards
Alan

System Scaffolds are a law to themselves though.
I cant see how CupLok is still being used... its dangerous as fukk.

How can it be safe to whack a upper cup up to take/put in a tube and leave 2/3 other exposed tubes that could (in theory) pop out the lower cup?

I think its a shiit System, tbh.
Layher blows it out the water.

its 950 mm from top of board to top of tube finnished my part two about 6 months ago

System Scaffolds are a law to themselves though.
I cant see how CupLok is still being used... its dangerous as fukk.

How can it be safe to whack a upper cup up to take/put in a tube and leave 2/3 other exposed tubes that could (in theory) pop out the lower cup?

I think its a shiit System, tbh.
Layher blows it out the water.

Each to his own Jason, you may be right i'm not sure but not a lot you can do when you have 15,000 tonne of the stuff.
Must say have never had any trouble with cuplok falling out of the cups the opposite in fact cant' get the bloody ledgers out without a good clump when doing an adaption.

However I am sure that most systems will still have a problem if the rail height alters. (I can remember when the height was altered previousley and I am almost certain that the height took into consideration existing systems)
regards
Alan

If im not wrong with the ed standard the minimum hieght is 950 with the maximum hieght
bieng 1090

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

sorrt ec standard

There is no maximum height just a maximum spacing between rails.

The W@HR havent changed so the same rules apply a minimum of 950mm.

With alot of the European scaff systems they vary ive got a frame system here with
CE certicication and the side guard rail goes to a hieght of 1070 .If you go to En 12811
with the manufacturing of system and the frame scaffolding the maximum hieght is 1090 maybe thats where he is getting his hieghts from.

we had some young little P*ick on site today(safety inspector)
he took great pleasure in telling us the minimum height of the top handrail has changed to 1090mm on 01 09 2010
can anyone confirm this

The first post that started this disussion by mm. This inspector was correct in stating minimum heights 1090. This does not aply to scaffolding. More to do with public ballustrading and residential handrails on new builds. As Alan Reade also stated, a compromise was made to take into account the sheer volume of changes and cost to companies on system scaff and plant such as mewps etc. 950mm is the minimum heights for handrails on scaffolding. How easy is it for t&f scaffolders to change height??? System would be knackered.

Last edited:
There is no maximum height just a maximum spacing between rails.

Morning all,
I thought I knew the answer to this as 5973 gave a range which I recalled as 910 to 1150.
However I note from TG20 11.6 sets no such range but states that guard rails should be fixed inside the standards at a height of at least 950mm. This section go's on to state that the maximum gap between guard rails should not exceed 470mm.
I assume the logic behind this is that if you set a maximum height what hapens when a third rail is required above the standard height? That is now predetermined for you by the 470mm rule.
regards
Alan

Last edited:
3. In relation to work at height involved in construction work—

(a)the top guard-rail or other similar means of protection shall be at least 950 millimetres or, in the case of such means of protection already fixed at the coming into force of these Regulations, at least 910 millimetres above the edge from which any person is liable to fall;

(b)toe-boards shall be suitable and sufficient to prevent the fall of any person, or any material or object, from any place of work; and

(c)any intermediate guard-rail or similar means of protection shall be positioned so that any gap between it and other means of protection does not exceed 470 millimetres.

Source : The Work at Height Regulations 2005

Hope this helps. i had this discussion with my tutor on the nebosh diploma course. A well respected chartered member of iosh and by far the most competent tutor we've dealt with ( believe some of these guys should not be teaching, tho their technical knowledge is astounding) He argued , though unquoted , hand rail/ stroke edge protection had minimum heights close to 1100 mm to which i said someone should let the n.a.s.c know and then we picked the finer points in landing places for ladders amongst other things. Industry guidance from time to time conflicts with statute law or can also be open to interpretation. But in this instance i still believe it's there in black n white :D

handrails for public use 1100mm plus fully close boarded for child protection

From the Building Regulation approved docs, top of stair handrail to be min 900, max 1000 above string line of the stair, anywhere it forms guarding i.e landings, balconies, balustrades, to be 1100mm above finished floor level.
Handrail diameter to be between 40 and 45mm.

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

From the Building Regulation approved docs, top of stair handrail to be min 900, max 1000 above string line of the stair, anywhere it forms guarding i.e landings, balconies, balustrades, to be 1100mm above finished floor level.
Handrail diameter to be between 40 and 45mm.

Top Bottom