The Wearing of PPE (4 Viewers)

PW

Reaction score
What I write below is exactly what I have implemented within our business, please read and let me have your feed back, I would appreiciate your honest opinions.

When I first got to the Company we were having trouble with our lads wearing their PPE, so I got them all (We only have 10 lads) in and asked them to make sure that they did so and the reasons behind it etc and I would be randomly checking to make sure they were. I knew it would be quite a culture change for them as they had been used to day to day dealings with the business owner who is a really nice bloke and to be honest very laid back. Whilst undertaking these checks if I caught anyone I would just have a polite word (I'm usually not one for the hair dryer treatment because I believe it simply doesnt work and the lads think your a tw*t, but I can get to that if the situation dictates) with them and carry out a Tool Box Talk regarding the subject etc. Anyway over a year went past with a little improvement but not were we needed to be so I brought in the following as Company Policy at the end of last year, all our lads were aware of it so now nasty surprises etc:

1st Instance of not wearing all PPE would result in a £10.00 fine per item and a verbal warning.

2nd Instance would result in deduction of a days pay and a written warning.

3rd Instance would result in dismissal (Gross Misconduct Basically)

So far I have had to 2 lads on a "1st Instance" scenario recently and 1 lad today who has gone to the "2nd Instance" scenario, our lad today was none to pleased with his situation and we had a very heated discusssion on the subject but I stood my ground and carried out the penalty.

My questions to you lads are:

1) Am I being out of order?

2) If you think I am out of order please suggest how I can ensure our lads wear their issued kit?

Last edited:
i think it is unfair docking lads of there money fella.

but seems to me that you have been very fair with the lads and very professional at the same time.

maybe there is a better outcome ie stopping over time for them for a certain period?

that if you have overtime ofcourse

hmmm just done something along these lines today on the nebosh ie rewards & disicipline

my thoughts are if you are giving out punishments then a reward scheme should run hand in hand

you can't take away without giving:)

what about training etc, are the lads currently awaiting going on their scaffolding courses, maybe put their names on a wall planner or something similar & if they are caught without wearing appropriate PPE then move them further down the planner or substitute their names with someone elses, something along those lines will make ethem think, it is also a way of encouraging a safe working system, just my 2p worth

Last edited:
Scaffdude

Many thanks for your response

In regard to stopping overtime, unfortunatly we have very little at the minute and when we do get it I like to share it around so all the lads get a bit.

Orac

Good point...I will certainly look into that.

Cheers

Paul

Very sticky situation, but I think you may find that stopping any amount out of someones wages is actually against european law. They have earnt it & have to agree to any stoppages you wish to make! One way round this is to fine them in respect of days out, but again this would have to be written into their contract, along with lay offs & stand downs. Unfortunatly the only way to implement these actions is with writtne & verbal warnings, if someone does not want to follow company procedure then they dont want to work for that company.

I hate wearing hard hat harness etc but its part of the job now & productivity has reduce because of it but thats the way it is.:confused:

I might be alone here , but I think you are spot on with your system , I would say , 90% of ppe is there for good reason , some rules dont make sence IE: wearing goggles in boilerhouse when the lighting is refracted in the plastic of said goggles making things just awkward to see, i dropped a butt to my mate an it hit the rung of the ladder, an hit him in the throat, he was ok but without the goggs my vision would have been much clearer, , STAY SAFE.

they are bein assholes ,,, at the end of the day , in this day and age anybody who calls themselves a scaffolder knows that hat gloves , overalls boots and harness are a part of the :huh:jop ,,, if they refuse then they are not doin their job and should be chased !!!! end of story !!!!

i think its the only way.I did the exact same thing with our lads but not with steps 2 and 3 i just repeated same fine £10. As allways some did not like it and protested quite loudly. The explantion was quite simple, your AWARE of the fine if you choose to not wear ppe then its going to cost you,After all its only a fraction of the cost a company will lose with repeated non -compliance forms and then loss of contract worth many thousands . and after get sick and tierd of repeating myself i felt it was the only way.it did however take some lads and im sure theres the same in every firm a few times to sink in but £20 -£30 later i am pleased to say this is no longer an issue ,so i would say stick with it.

Scaffdude

Many thanks for your response

In regard to stopping overtime, unfortunatly we have very little at the minute and when we do get it I like to share it around so all the lads get a bit.

Orac

Good points...I will certainly look into both of them.

ragscaff

I do sympathise with our lads, it does seem as if we are being "put on" with more and more kit as the years go by, and as you mention thats the situation we are in.
In regard to deducting monies etc...As long as you inform the individual and explain fully why you are doing it prior to undertaking the action then you are commiting no breach of employment law.

In summary, all our lads are really good blokes and we all get on pretty well, to the question would I dismiss one should it get to the "3rd Incident" well I very much doubt it unless I had absoulutly no choice. I feel as if I have been boxed into a corner with no option other than to take the "Hard Line" so to speak.

Many thanks for all your comments

Cheers

Paul

ppe

pw Sounds like a good system you have got there gives the lads a shock in their pocket usually does the trick in the second instance same a nd their job is on the line if they repeat they dont give a f*ck or are stupid .After all its the company that gets their a*se reemed by hse got to protect your own back can understand lads not wanting to wear it specially if they are on price slows productivity but a lot of big companies are adopting one strike and your out policy so they are fortunate with your policy dont know what the stance is with docking wages maybe its different when it comes to breaches of h&s goverment is keen to keep n.h.s. budget down like wearing seat belts instant fine these days and points never liked wearing them but its automatic these days. what about tool lanyards anyone implemented them yet could be a step too far i think unless your working in town ,busy areas could cause probs spannering.

Worst case scenario could result in your lads being thrown of site for not wearing the correct ppe,if the contract with the client is then put in jeopardy because of this misconduct,then so are the lads jobs.I think your bang on pw,agree with you totally.The lads must realise if they dont adhere to company policies they could be down the road..not a nice thought in the current job climate..

ppe.

hi pw it is a hard road to travel as to ppe if men dont toe the line then thay have to go. no good being nice as the hse are not going to be nice to you. :sad:

Hi PW m8

Our stance on the non-compliance of wearing PPE is firstly a good bollicking, and a 'Verbal warning', however if that same individual is caught again, he can and sometimes is sent home, and 'Docked wages' for the length of absence. This can hit them quite hard, especially if their mate that gives him a 35 mile lift home is still grafting.:eek:

Personally I wouldn't dock them money. I would just have a toolbox talk, bring it up that you have been trying to get this ppe thing sorted for over a year now and your still seeing that people arnt complying by it.

If it was me I would give them official warnings:- i.e verbal, writen and final. If there still going to go against your wishes then I'm sure there will be plenty more scaffs more than willing to take over.

What is the correct PPE. Base out a bungalow, do you need a harness?
Why Googles? in the summer they steam up & the sweat reduces vison so when walking along three boards this is a hazard!!
Shorts! this one is a big bone of contension. Why? On at least three large projects I have managed to corner the Health & Safety advisor for the contractor & ask why no shorts.
1/ Said it was in case any harmful substance hits your legs you get more protection out of long trousers. We don't use harmful substances & if we are building or adapting the scaffold there should not be anybody using harmful substances!
2/ Some trades as above may need protection, as we can't be bothered to police this we have set the rules right across the site. That goes for long sleeves, googles, gloves etc.
3/ THe third was owned by a woman & see show someone showing the family jewels when climbing a ladder & did not like them!
It all backs up what we are saying on most of the threads. Why train us & not let us do our job, USE THE CORRECT PPE FOR THE JOB IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I should be able to risk asses my task & the tasks of my fellow scaffolders on site to work in the safest & most productive way possible.
Guidelines are guidlines. If you are seen to use then 80% then you are doing well.
I have been on high rised buildings on target for edge protection. 90 degrees long sleeves & trousers. Build bottom to top then get off. You can't always leave full access all the way up in case people climb out the building. SO you over heat & pass out !! great rule. Our job is 90% fisical you need to be able to cool down. Drive for a living car, bus or lorry you don't have to wear a crash helmit or fire proof clothes but you are more likley to crash than me get burnt by a chemical product I don't even use !!!!

SORRY SORE SUBJECT GOODBYE:eek::eek::eek:

lanyards

talking of which , i have jus had a titainium spanner made with a 3mm groove 3/4 way down box as to fit spring clip lanyard , has anyone had dificulty with this sorta lanyard ? i,ve seen the spanners with lanyard attatched @ end of handle ,now that looks like really awkward:eek:

if they not using the right ppe sack them your arse is on the line as well and document everything you do hope that helps

I use a titanium spanner and find it fine. Also when you hit things with it (which i dont often have to because i have a podger hammer) it doesn't dint as much as a steel spanner would.

Anyway sorry PW, went abit off subject there :D

SPANNERS. down in wales titanium handles can be made to your own spec and you can get a good box the best i have seen :bigsmile:

Top Bottom