Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wearing of PPE

Thanks

Worst case scenario could result in your lads being thrown of site for not wearing the correct ppe,if the contract with the client is then put in jeopardy because of this misconduct,then so are the lads jobs.I think your bang on pw,agree with you totally.The lads must realise if they dont adhere to company policies they could be down the road..not a nice thought in the current job climate..

Thanks

Default ppe.

hi pw it is a hard road to travel as to ppe if men dont toe the line then thay have to go. no good being nice as the hse are not going to be nice to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,017 Posts

Hi PW m8

Our stance on the non-compliance of wearing PPE is firstly a good bollicking, and a 'Verbal warning', however if that same individual is caught again, he can and sometimes is sent home, and 'Docked wages' for the length of absence. This can hit them quite hard, especially if their mate that gives him a 35 mile lift home is still grafting.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't dock them money. I would just have a toolbox talk, bring it up that you have been trying to get this ppe thing sorted for over a year now and your still seeing that people arnt complying by it.

If it was me I would give them official warnings:- i.e verbal, writen and final. If there still going to go against your wishes then I'm sure there will be plenty more scaffs more than willing to take over.

ragscaff Guest

What is the correct PPE. Base out a bungalow, do you need a harness?
    Why Googles? in the summer they steam up & the sweat reduces vison so when walking along three boards this is a hazard!!
    Shorts! this one is a big bone of contension. Why? On at least three large projects I have managed to corner the Health & Safety advisor for the contractor & ask why no shorts.
    1/ Said it was in case any harmful substance hits your legs you get more protection out of long trousers. We don't use harmful substances & if we are building or adapting the scaffold there should not be anybody using harmful substances!
    2/ Some trades as above may need protection, as we can't be bothered to police this we have set the rules right across the site. That goes for long sleeves, googles, gloves etc.
    3/ THe third was owned by a woman & see show someone showing the family jewels when climbing a ladder & did not like them!
    It all backs up what we are saying on most of the threads. Why train us & not let us do our job, USE THE CORRECT PPE FOR THE JOB IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I should be able to risk asses my task & the tasks of my fellow scaffolders on site to work in the safest & most productive way possible.
    Guidelines are guidlines. If you are seen to use then 80% then you are doing well.
    I have been on high rised buildings on target for edge protection. 90 degrees long sleeves & trousers. Build bottom to top then get off. You can't always leave full access all the way up in case people climb out the building. SO you over heat & pass out !! great rule. Our job is 90% fisical you need to be able to cool down. Drive for a living car, bus or lorry you don't have to wear a crash helmit or fire proof clothes but you are more likley to crash than me get burnt by a chemical product I don't even use !!!!

SORRY SORE SUBJECT GOODBYE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ragscaff For This Useful Post:

bigfish (22nd May 2012)

Thanks

PW mate,

It's 2010 why should non-compliance of PPE even be debatable in this day and age? Wake 'em up son..!!!

Cheers,
    Phil.
    'I'm only here cos I'm fed up with Facebook..!!!'

Thanks

Cool lanyards

talking of which , i have jus had a titainium spanner made with a 3mm groove 3/4 way down box as to fit spring clip lanyard , has anyone had dificulty with this sorta lanyard ? i,ve seen the spanners with lanyard attatched @ end of handle ,now that looks like really awkward

Thanks

if they not using the right ppe sack them your arse is on the line as well and document everything you do hope that helps

Thanks

I use a titanium spanner and find it fine. Also when you hit things with it (which i dont often have to because i have a podger hammer) it doesn't dint as much as a steel spanner would.

Anyway sorry PW, went abit off subject there

Thanks

SPANNERS. down in wales titanium handles can be made to your own spec and you can get a good box the best i have seen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast