supervisor job

paul

Reaction score
Been offered a supervisor job for another company.
Just cant make my mind up to take it or not , there is half of me that wants to stay on the tools as i still enjoy the job but the other half of me thinks that i cant stay on the tools forever and maybe it would be good for me.
Ive ran big jobs before with ten to fifteen scaffs but that was just dishing out work as it came my way and writing out work sheets for the office
Anyone got any pro's and con's.

pros - more money usually
cons - sheer grief dealing with blokes and customers !!

Less agro on the tools then supervising as you no doubt can realise , fook that

you will have more stress even if you think you can take it and will lose the phisyical workout each day
you might get a pay rise,you might not
more people will hate you
it's another step up the ladder
you will do more hours and you won't get paid for alot of your time
you will get phone calls all times of day
you cannot say no,as work depends on you.
there's all sorts Paul,you wont get mucky or cold.Go 4 it.

Paul
I took my first supervisor job late 70s,It is a steep learning curve at first.I stuck it for about three years then went back on the spanners

I chopped and changed between supervisor,contracts manager,owner,and scaffolder over the last 25years.once a scaffolder always a scaffolder.

I always found the management positions paid less than I could make on the tools.But you will learn a lot as to the running of a scaffold company.The good the bad and the ugly.

Take note of what Grum posted ,all relevent, I agree with all he said

Nothing ventured nothing gained :D

to my mind all of what you guys say is bang on - but you have not mentioned one big thing - for who would you be working for as a supervisor?
Good firm that you know - why not, firm with bad rep you don't know - mmmm I'd leave it!

less money,you cant stay friends with the lads on tools,most importantly you have to source a darth vader lightsaber...........as youl be turning to the dark side my friend lol.pros,theres plenty of pros too,take the jump you can always return to being a jedi if you dnt like or fancy lord vader,besta luck m8.

less money,you cant stay friends with the lads on tools,most importantly you have to source a darth vader lightsaber...........as youl be turning to the dark side my friend lol.pros,theres plenty of pros too,take the jump you can always return to being a jedi if you dnt like or fancy lord vader,besta luck m8.

Not so easy to return to the spanners once you have taken the supervisor/manager path.
Both sides have pros and cons but I think if I had to do it all again I would still start labouring, then on the tools and on to management.
Too many supervisors/managers today have not been on the tools long enough to appreciate what is done by the men out there.

never underestimate the importance of good management,old saying a supervisor/manager not doing there job correctly till their names on the toilet wall.go for it paul conduct yourself correctly and youl be able to return to the tools if you dnt fancy it.

Yeah paul as all the lads have said some valid points.Go for it, and keep going for it till you reach the top pal if its what [you] want. ;)

Been offered a supervisor job for another company.
Just cant make my mind up to take it or not , there is half of me that wants to stay on the tools as i still enjoy the job but the other half of me thinks that i cant stay on the tools forever and maybe it would be good for me.
Ive ran big jobs before with ten to fifteen scaffs but that was just dishing out work as it came my way and writing out work sheets for the office
Anyone got any pro's and con's.

Paul
Go for it mate.
Its a ***** job but will lead to other things. My depot manager told me I should stay as a supervisor and not get into H&S, he lost his job:D and I have my own successful scaffold safety consultancy so who was right!!
Tufty
PS When I took the job I dropped 10k as I was on price don't think it would be the same today as this was in '96.

I was on my tools for over 20 years then I was asked to be a supervisor, I hated every minute of it, loosing work mates, I did it for 5 years then a opportunity came up for me to learn to estimate, this job I loved and I would recommend that role to anyone...

just done the same thing hung my spanners 6 months ago , hated every minute of it just couldnt get me head round not being a scaff anymore , back on tools now and loving it , can still earn more money on tools, i would say while you are fit enough to do the job keep doing it , i am only 31 so maybe was a bit to early for me.

gotta depend on age and how much more your body can take . im only 31 but iv worked most of the last 16 year on a price . put that together with all the drink and drugs . fighting and sleepness nights . personally i ll continue as long as i can and hopefully my body will be so f*cked up i will be to get on the sick and drink happily ever after.ram your office jobs . iv also got 3 kids and counting so hopefully one of them will get a good job and sort me out .

Paul
Go 4 it. If you dont you will kick yourself for not going for it, youve allways got your spanners
Once a Scaff Allways a Scaff.
All the best

gotta depend on age and how much more your body can take . im only 31 but iv worked most of the last 16 year on a price . put that together with all the drink and drugs . fighting and sleepness nights . personally i ll continue as long as i can and hopefully my body will be so f*cked up i will be to get on the sick and drink happily ever after.ram your office jobs . iv also got 3 kids and counting so hopefully one of them will get a good job and sort me out .

Hahahaha! Proper scaff talk!

Marvellous.

you will have more stress even if you think you can take it and will lose the phisyical workout each day
you might get a pay rise,you might not
more people will hate you
it's another step up the ladder
you will do more hours and you won't get paid for alot of your time
you will get phone calls all times of day
you cannot say no,as work depends on you.
there's all sorts Paul,you wont get mucky or cold.Go 4 it.

Hit the nail on the head there Grum.

I would still go for it if I had to choose again. Best chance you may have to get of the tools. As a supervisor you can still muck in with gangs from time to time.
Go for it m8.

Top Bottom