3D CAD model file size (2 Viewers)

SE1006

Reaction score
Hi all,

I design, using autocad, predominantly in 2D but with the occasional 3D model here and there, when required.

I spent a lot of time creating all my own 3D blocks for both traditional fittings and for system, and took pleasure in making them as accurate as possible.

I was surprised to find file sizes well over 60mb being produced for the very smallest of jobs (couple of bays square birdcage, for example) and wondered if the blocks might be a little too detailed.

It's not critical but, before I set about re-doing or simplifying my blocks in an attempt to reduce file sizes, I thought I'd ask what sort of file sizes are you finding for full 3D models of your average job?

Cheers

Depending on how complex you got when making the parts, your polycount in the model could be huge due to the number of faces/lines. We have a bunch of 3D couplers created for rendered typical details so they look as realistic as possible, but we do not use these in the main model as it increases the file size dramatically. You may want to look at simplifying your models for the general drawing use and use the complex models you've created for renders/typical details.

Open one of your 3D blocks, turn the view to 2D wireframe and if you see a whole mess of lines in your block, that means your polycount will be huge and hence your large file sizes. Each line is a new face on the 3D part, and each face means a new rendered area and 3D geometry that your drawing has to consider. Multiply this by inserting the same block multiple times and it will kill your file sizes.

Thanks for that Node, valid point, think simpler blocks for the overall model is the way to go

Top Bottom