Handover certificate/ tags (2 Viewers)

sturgess

Reaction score
If your on a construction job that needs many different scaffolds in and around site everyday , does every job need tagging individual, As client wants handover certificate for every individual job erected ?? Thanks.

Most companies provide handover certificates for each job; in saying that, it's not a legal requirement to provide a handover certificate it's a legal requirement to carry out an inspection on the scaffold, a handover certificate is accepted as the first inspection.

I understand what your saying. Does every job ,big small need a tag as well. I don’t mind giving hand over on each one but tag everyone will need two boxes 😩

The jobs themselves don't usually need tagging unless the main contractor stipulates it in the tender. We used to charge extra in the price.

This is a different question but relates to tags..... I’ve been out the scaffolding game for nearly 5 years now do the odd bit for my firm if they need it but only minor jobs, I’ve been put in charge or inspections of ladders when needed on our jobs which is quite regular really, if a ladder doesn’t have a tag on it does that mean it’s not acceptable to use even tho I’ve signed it off in the company’s weekly sign off sheet, just a h+s man said on Thursday the ladder needed a tag or had to be removed from site!

I would put this down to the policy the main contractor has. If they stipulate tags then tags go on, if not a register of inspections is usually ok. If they are part of the scaffold they are usually included in the statutory inspections and any faults identified are listed with recommendations.

Thanks for your input Tony. I hope you have a lovely day...…...

as a SENIOR part 2 sssts/part1/harness inpection i can confirm that a tag is a legal requirment on ALL scaffolds. FACT

Not according to NASC and HSE websites

Indeed - From HSE website:

Q. Must I use a tag system on a scaffold?

A. Although tag systems are not a legal requirement, the law does require inspection of scaffolding from which a person might fall 2 metres or more and the issue of a report by a competent person, on completion and at least weekly thereafter.

A risk assessment may find the need for more frequent inspection of scaffolding. Inspection may also be required after bad weather and always after any modification.

Using a visible tag system to supplement inspection reports is a useful way of ensuring those who need to access the scaffold know that it has been inspected and is safe to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom