SCCR: Fall Prevention; Appraisal

This Thread is a request for Data pertaining to Progressive Collective Fall Prevention Methods and Systems in General and ADVANCED GUARDRAIL SYSTEMS in Particular.

Quastions :

1) Has your Orginisation Sangtioned the use of Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.

2) Have you been introduced/trained to use the Systems ?.

3) Do you use any of the Advanced Guardrail Systems ?.

3.1) If you use the System, what is its advantages ?.

3.2) If you do not use the System, what is your perceived disadvantages ?.

In the interest of evaluating these Fall Prevention Methods and Systems, please participate---your views are important to us...

To view the afore mentioned Fall Prevention Methods and Systems, please access Document SG4:05 Appendix A.

Garry : for and on behalf of SCCR...

SCCR : Promotions and New Technoligies Secretary...

1;Yes , step up platform

2;Yes , also tool box talks recapping the training .

3;Just the step up ,At my previous company used the ''lean out and pull down system and was a nightmare !!

3.1; N/A

3.2;N/A

At the moment this is the way the ''man'' is telling us to work as I have stated in other threads I think the step up is the best ,some others will not agree fair enough but look at it as the best of a bad bunch and to suggest RSI from going up & down 3 steps is laughable I am more concerned why we still use a rope and wheel or handballing loads of boards & long .

Good thread :)

ragscaff

Good points and others have raised the issues of Repetitive Strain Injuries ( Step Up )---as I mentioned earlier long term usage of these Systems and their collative chronic effects have not been assessed---I no of NO Health Monitoring and or Health Surveillance being conducted by the Manufacturers, moreover, Acute and Chronic effects of these Systems the step up in particular have never been fully researched prior to manufacturing and Marketing---If any on has any knowledge of any such research please let me know...

Garry...

Ragstaff I dread to think how many damaged spinal columns will be reported to the health services in the years ahead due to the compusary wearing of fall arrest harness These are cronic injuries that will become more acute and painful the longer the harness is worn.

The sad thing to me is the wearing of the harness is in most cases a cosmetic action as a large number of wearers do not regulary"hook on" anyway.

1) Has your Orginisation Sangtioned the use of Advanced Guardrail Systems ?. Yes

2) Have you been introduced/trained to use the Systems ?. Yes

3) Do you use any of the Advanced Guardrail Systems ?. Not unless we have to

3.1) If you use the System, what is its advantages ?. ???

3.2) If you do not use the System, what is your perceived disadvantages ?.

You have issues of time on the job = Your price must go up = you lose work to the cowboys that don,t give a flying fcuk about h & s or playing on a level field.i.e employing quality tradesmen paying their dues etc etc.

Joe 90

Aye, it's a short season in the Offshore Game eh---the weather is on the turn already---plenty work for next year though with the escalation of the De-comm Program, thats when the real problems will arise...

Garry...

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Scaffman1

Thanks for your contribution---your closing sentence is well noted, thanks...

Garry...

Cheers Garry,I will be going all out for it next year thanks for all your expertese ;)

Any chance of a start on the de-comms Garry :blink:

I worked on the Shell Brent, and Cormorant when they were built mid 70s at Ardyne Point.They reckoned then of a lifespan of the rigs of 20/25 years.

Rigger

I worked on the Brent Feild over the years from 78---as you know these Installations were the first of their kind and they were mainly Built in Situ, their construction being welded bulk heads and very little to no Bolt on Modular Packages as is the mode of hook-up contraction now.

The Old Installations being solid, the Engineers have to find procedures to Safe Systems of Work and Method Statements to Salvage Crews, furthermore, as you are aware the Spurt Structure of these Installations have been exposed to extreme weather conditions for decades thus the Integrity and Reliability of the Steel superstructure and Associated Steel Members have been impinged by oxidization so much so that it may be inhibitive to erect a Suspended Traditional Scaffold from said Steel Work = a problem of self weight Scaffolds, thus alternative access work platforms wust be found---another associated problem is when Pipework is cut the slug contained within some of the Pipework is exposed thus exposing Toxic Carcinogens and Low Scale radioactive mutagens to the Operatives.

Bottom line being---I can see a requirement for 3 rd Party Consultants with first hands/hand on experience of these Installations when they were Built/Hook-Up---conception to completion, Construction to Salvage...

Garry...

Scotishscaff

No M8---would never dream of using the Forum to solicit a Postion...

Only opening Points for Disscusion.

What Sector are you in ?.

Garry...

Top Bottom