Scaffold erected under the high tide line. (1 Viewer)

big john

Reaction score
Ello lads
I’ve got to erect scaffolding to the front of a property that is in a tidal river, the river will rise about 2 metres up the scaffold, strong tides and can get quiet rough in strong winds.
We always used to dig in sleepers to the mud/sand then base out on them, also hit 5 foots into the mud with a sledgehammer and fix them to the kicker, then Hilti the fook out of it.
I have heard that you can get some sort of anchor system to base out on, has anyone on here come across this or used it?
Sorry it’s a bit vague but a can’t remember for the life of me what it was called or what it even does.
Cheers
John

Use band and plate drill it into the house, run a ledger through it, come of that with the scaffold.. then base out as normal, shorten the standard spacings to 1.5m apart, brace every standard and hilti tie every standard, thats now got double ties in it, run a truss through it if needed, you can cut the ends the standards into sharp spears and dig / bash them into the mud if possible? Sleepers would probably just sink and drop, connect as much as possible to whats around you, the house, any steels or wooden beams?

Just my thoughts.

We had a similar job to do a couple of years ago for a well known client which required a design and the design required using upright steel ladder beams as standards with additional standards alongside on screw jacks which were reset daily after the tides,obviously all tied in and braced to death.
Design is a must i would say but if you want to take your chances without then the upright beams should be worth considering.

how deep is it before it rises,if you can stand in base out double to double and fix concrete blocks about 18 inch sq. with tubes set in them
this will stop the currant moving it, fix them on the kicker lift and lift above so there on the river bed ,double standards up to a lift above high tide , all doubles plenty of ties and brazes,all doubles again to a lift above high tide,1.5 mtr centre standards,

Last edited:
Scaffolders deleting derogatory posts. Who’d have thunk it?

Top Bottom