3D Scaffold drawings (1 Viewer)

Georgina Molloy

Reaction score
Hi All,

If ye are doing 3D drawings, what software are you using? and any thoughts?
I'm using Autocad 2D at the moment for drawing and CADs A3D max for design software.

I've had a demo from Tekla and if you have their 3D drawing package and their structural design package you can import the 3D drawing into the design software, design the frame (scaffold) and edit it in the design and export it back to the drawing if necessary.
Seems good but they don't have scaffold blocks developed yet which would be a deal breaker I'd say! (they say its in the pipeline).
I've also looked at Avontus. any thoughts on them?

Cheers!

Hi, we use AutoCAD mainly 2D too but just bought Revit and Robot from Autodesk as part of their AEC suite (you can swap old licences and get a good deal). You can export designs straight into Robot for analysis and back again into Revit or AutoCAD. I've not had time to use them much yet but hoping to shortly. Avontus doesn't have enough scope for complex designs in my opinion, same with CADS smart scaffolder.

Thanks Biffo,

I'm doing a trial of Avontus at the moment but I'd definitely need to keep AutoCAD along with Avontus as I don't think it would be a replacement.
Would you see yourself generating material quantity lists for Clients from Revit?
It's something we have been asked for and part of the reason I'm exploring 3D modelling/BIM.

I had a try of the CADS Smart Scaffolder not so long back and couldn't really find a use for it that TG20 compliance sheet wouldn't cover. As long as the building geometry was simple, it was quite useful for bashing out quick system drawings, tho. I had a quick go with Revit when I was still in structures but didn't use it enough to get any sort of skill level with it so now i'm still on AutoCAD and STAAD.

Cheers Nick,

I'm going to give Revit a trial next. It's a considerable hike on price from AutoCAD LT to Revit but they are all yearly subscriptions now so I guess I could try it for a year and go back if I don't find it worth the extra cost.

Cheers Nick,

I'm going to give Revit a trial next. It's a considerable hike on price from AutoCAD LT to Revit but they are all yearly subscriptions now so I guess I could try it for a year and go back if I don't find it worth the extra cost.

This might help you, with SMART Estimator you can import a site plan from Revit, model your scaffold, and then send it back to Revit. This is a good way to get started, because you can then modify the scaffold once it’s in Revit. We made a quick video to show how you can create a 3D fly through in Revit with an export from SMART Estimator: https://smartscaffolder.com/latest/create-a-virtual-fly-through-with-smart-estimator-and-revit/

Cheers Nick,

Georgina, you need to check with your software supplier or Autocad themselves that this is possible. I am still on a maintenance agreement with Autodesk because it is cheaper than subscription but they are trying really hard to get me off it and into the expensive subscription of Revit so I suspect that there may be difficulties in going backwards if you don't get on with Revit.

This might help you, with SMART Estimator you can import a site plan from Revit, model your scaffold, and then send it back to Revit. This is a good way to get started, because you can then modify the scaffold once it’s in Revit. We made a quick video to show how you can create a 3D fly through in Revit with an export from SMART Estimator: https://smartscaffolder.com/latest/create-a-virtual-fly-through-with-smart-estimator-and-revit/

Thanks Sam, that's great.

Good tip, thanks. I'm on a subscription with Autocad LT but it's considerably cheaper than a subscription to Revit and having seen how much there is to learn in Revit I think I'd have to subscribe to both for quiet some time while I get to grips with Revit and fall back on Autocad to get urgent drawings out fast!

We use Tekla and Revit for 3D scaffold - the downside is we had to develop all of our own blocks and templates (and no you can't have them!) plus engage a fulltime developer for modelling other things. Also they don't tell you that you need a phd to get it from model to layout as all of the templates need to be bespoke also.

We are 3 years in now and probably ~ £200k spent on this. The only saviour is the other work we do which helps cover the scaffold development side.

I've always had the feeling that Revit would be one of those programs that looks simple enough on first glance but to get any real advantages from it was going to be a steep learning curve. I'm working my way through making the Tedds calculation templates suitable for scaffold. That's time consuming enough, getting any level of proficiency with Revit would probably do me in!

Thanks IDH,
Wow that's a big investment!!! Best of luck with it :)
Hearing this doesn't push me any closer to the edge of the 'Revit cliff' ...... still procrastinating!!!! :)

I hear you Nick!!
I spent most of my 30 day Revit trial watching the online videos. Training is a must if you're going that route I reckon.

i have accross this link and found it interesting - i am working on my own application to provide 3D/2D designs and calculations i would be interested to hear your feedback on what you would like to see - the tekla sounds interesting being able to import and export etc - further more can i ask what information needs to be in the calculations submitted to any client - there does not seem to be any generic layout for certain types of designs. I know the calculations are to prove to adequacy of the scaffold but given the TG20 says its there should be allowances for horizontal movement of a certain percentage etc - are standard structural calculations acceptable ?

Top Bottom