Thread: Advice for a new scaffolder (Cots)

Thanks

Default Advice for a new scaffolder (Cots)

Hello, I know there are people here who have been scaffolding for decades. I start my first ever job as a labourer next week (2 weeks trial with connect scaffolding that was organized through a project with the local private housing association) after that I will have to go about potentially finding my own work as a labourer. I've been a general labourer before on site, so I'm not a complete newbie. I have some questions...

1) What should a newb expect when he is just starting out on site?
    2) How do I get further work in scaffolding with only limited experience and (potentially if all goes well...) one reference?
    3) I can quite easily save up enough money for a part 1 myself- but is a part 1 worth it with limited labouring experience? Or will people potentially over look this as they see someone with the drive to self-fund and is serious about going into scaffolding? The people in charge of my experience say that I will have to wait until September after my 2-week work experience to potentially get a full-time scaffolding trainee position. Until then I will just be general labouring. Is it worth waiting that long to get something, or shall I just try hard to get a cots position somewhere else?
    4) I don't have a driving licence yet (I know working on it), I live in London. Is it possible this may exclude me from opportunities to get experience even though I live close-by to public transport?
    5) Is it worth investing in a harness yet - or not?

Thanks.

Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,985 Times in 3,746 Posts

Good luck in your chosen career.
    There are many experienced guys here who will give you advice.
    I am a bit out of touch with UK as work overseas.
    Think you have to do a COTS course to begin with then part one.
    Just be keen, hard working and turn up on time everyday.
    Daan daang applicant ang sumabak ngunit, anim lang ang napili.

Thanks

ah well! I got my 2 weeks up and they did not need a labourer on site afterwards (though they released me with commendations and said I did very well). If anyone here can recommend where I should go next. Looking for cots job in the London area.

Thanks

Keep your eye on the jobs thread
    If you want to succeed

You must never give up