Advice for a new scaffolder (Cots) (2 Viewers)

34ha88an

Reaction score
Hello, I know there are people here who have been scaffolding for decades. I start my first ever job as a labourer next week (2 weeks trial with connect scaffolding that was organized through a project with the local private housing association) after that I will have to go about potentially finding my own work as a labourer. I've been a general labourer before on site, so I'm not a complete newbie. I have some questions...

1) What should a newb expect when he is just starting out on site?
2) How do I get further work in scaffolding with only limited experience and (potentially if all goes well...) one reference?
3) I can quite easily save up enough money for a part 1 myself- but is a part 1 worth it with limited labouring experience? Or will people potentially over look this as they see someone with the drive to self-fund and is serious about going into scaffolding? The people in charge of my experience say that I will have to wait until September after my 2-week work experience to potentially get a full-time scaffolding trainee position. Until then I will just be general labouring. Is it worth waiting that long to get something, or shall I just try hard to get a cots position somewhere else?
4) I don't have a driving licence yet (I know working on it), I live in London. Is it possible this may exclude me from opportunities to get experience even though I live close-by to public transport?
5) Is it worth investing in a harness yet - or not?

Thanks.

ah well! I got my 2 weeks up and they did not need a labourer on site afterwards (though they released me with commendations and said I did very well). If anyone here can recommend where I should go next. Looking for cots job in the London area.

Top Bottom