Kicker lift/Foot tie. (1 Viewer)

BigM

Reaction score
With respect to the correct construction of kicker lifts / foot ties within scaffold structure :-
When I was taught as a trainee, the correct methodology is that both the foot tie ledger and the foot tie 'ledger transom' i.e the tube at right angles to the ledger, should 'both' be connected to the upright/standard with load baring right angle couplers, so as to provide the 'tripod effect' and hence keep the scaffold and worker safe when the scaffold is 'active' during the processes of erection and dismantling.

Can I get clarification from someone please?
Thanks for reading.

I don't understand what an 'active' scaffold or 'tripod effect' means.

Nevertheless, a foot lift requires load bearing couplers to be used if it is required for structural stability; with a structural transom fixed at right angles to the ledger, across each pair of standards.

Requirement for a structural foot tie is dependent on various factors - overall height of the scaffold, gradient of the foundation of the scaffold etc - as determined in the TG20:13 Operational Guide, Section 6.10.

Hi Phil
Thanks for reply.
Across each pair of standards is all I required.
With regards to 'active', it's how I was taught many moons ago. It means a scaffold which is in the process of being erected or dismantled.
Tripod effect is what you get when the load bearing couplers are fitted to the standards.
It prevents the scaffold from tipping over during erection or dismantling
I'll check the document you suggested, hopefully that will have some nice pictures I can use!
Thanks again.

"Tripod effect is what you get when the load bearing couplers are fitted to the standards".

What the hell are you talking about?

M
I understand what you mean and I think that it is probably one of those things that we used to call good practice. If the double is fitted to the ledger and is a little loose, the ledger can rotate in the fitting and the standard it is attached to could fall over (if there are no ledgers or transoms further up - ie it is being erected or struck). In practice, the risk is probably very, very small but, if you have a choice to do things in different ways, why not use the one that has less risk of going wrong - ie good practice?

I'm sorry that you find my explanation of the words 'tripod effect' to be a load of drivel Phil. I'm not sure how else I could have put it but I'll try to explain better next time someone has a question which I think that I can contribute to in a positive way.

I'm sorry that you find my explanation of the words 'tripod effect' to be a load of drivel Phil. I'm not sure how else I could have put it but I'll try to explain better next time someone has a question which I think that I can contribute to in a positive way.

Thanks

Top Bottom