Swivel load bearing or not (1 Viewer)

dertboll

Reaction score
I used raker caught with a swivel and 2 check fittings. I rem my instructor say last year that swivels can be used as load bearing fittings.

So. Feeling like a right **** head now.

Your thoughts on this.

Swivels have the same slip capacity as the equivalent double coupler (6.1kN for a class a 9.1kN for a class B) and thus are most definitely load bearing. Not sure what you mean by catching a raker with a swivel and 2 check fittings so i cant advise, send me a sketch of what you mean and ill advise (you can do it by PM im not keen on washing dirty laundry in public)

hi
an 8ft tube used as raker under a cantilever. 2 checks to prevent slip. tube/ raker tied to ledgers with swivels. the platform is 3x3ft and is used for very light duty.

Hi dertboll
that sounds like a decent enough detail i cannot imagine that the check fittings are actually required but good practice anyway.

Very late to the party, however I was taught by an old scaff that on the heavier duty loads, swivels should only be used for when the load is acting in one direction; i.e Rakers up to a working platform and that if used in the bracing for a raking shore for example, the couplers will click in one direction and then click in the other if the wind changes, therefore creating more movement than if the braces were connected with doubles. It always made sense to me but I've never worked out how much a difference it would make though.

If the taker is connected to a ledger tube why use swivel?
i personally would always lace a tube across the standards and come of with doubles. The slip load is on the band and bot not the swivel connection
I may be wrong

Top Bottom