Square (1 Viewer)

ScaffyDuck369

Reaction score
Right how do a work out a 'square' on a standard independent and how do I work out a 'square' in a temporary roof

Sounds like an easy questions but yet I have had three different answer for each ?!?

What do you guys say

Independent = length x Height, Temporary roof = depth x width of cover.

Different companies have different take-off's due to the way they price the job, in the end it comes down to what works for you.

I would add that for estimating purposes the independent is priced to building face dims as a general rule.

Last edited:
Hi binthere
Thanks for the response I do understand metres squared what I struggle to understand is squares or bays which ever people prefer to call them, is one square on a independent 3m to the hand rail or 4m to the next lift ledger 1 square ? I hear slightly different views ? The same with roofs ?
Also how many squares should a good two man gang erect Daily if you class a square 4m to the handrail is roughly 12-15 squares what a good gang should do ? Just few questions I get different answers to and wonder what people thought on here

A square is 3m x 3m. It's basically a target to hit so many 3 x 3 squares a day. Different people will tell different amounts but you need to work out for yourself what your men can do and what you have priced the job for. Some just use m2 or linear meters as targets.

a square is 10 foot long by 10 foot high and back in the 80s-90s a good 2 handed street gang would knock out anywhere from 12 to 20 square a day , but there are so many things that affect that amount, access , height , fully boarded , lift heights. it was always measured to the lift height as the handrail was part of the lift , and you always had to make sure you got the returns one way as some firms only payed the building line.
best earners where a good run, top lift of boards only , you could erect the lifts of the handrails 9 foot high , and canterlever the top lift returns

Hi philliosmaximus

That's how I work my square out and price my square according seems tho some people price 13ft long up to next lift ledger as a square for the same price as 10ft by 10ft which is crazy.

What about temp roof how you working square out on that ??

Thanks for your feed back

Top Bottom