does raker need allways be punched at bottom of ledger (1 Viewer)

dertboll

Reaction score
i was working alone with 1 labourer ( no tools ) i was 40ft up and put a raker in , i fixed raker to ledger over the top instead of under only because i was alone and dint have a fellow scaff to help me.
question.
is raker allways meant to be fixed underneath the ledger ? or can it sometimes go on top ( after all a double is load bearing fitting )

i don't see it makes a difference really as long as you ain't boarding out that lift ,then it's gonna foul the boards .
I don't get why you need 2 men to put a brace in though :worried:

From a loading perspective it makes little difference. You do get a slightly better angle by having the raker below the bottom ledger and above the top ledger which reduces the axial and horizontal loads a bit but as Phil says you're usually governed by boards or something else in the way.

Teach you this on a pt1 brace if on ledgers one side on top one side underneath, hence the bottom is usually on top and top is underneath the ledger.but I think you on about something different because it don't take 2 men with tools to put a brace in,and at 40ft I'm guessing its not a raker that you put outside the scaffold to the floor to act as a support, I'm guessing your on about a spur or pullback,

From a loading perspective it makes little difference. You do get a slightly better angle by having the raker below the bottom ledger and above the top ledger which reduces the axial and horizontal loads a bit but as Phil says you're usually governed by boards or something else in the way.

Is that the right way round or is the picture I have from this wrong? Isn't a shallower angle better?

Yes a shallower angle measured against vertical is better for a raker or spur and the method I've described gives you that.

Top Bottom