Manual handling (1 Viewer)

Jase222

Reaction score
Pricing a job for wilmit Dixon and the site agent has said to bear in mind the max tube length for manual lifting is 10ft and to make sure I allow for it and the safety nut will love it if I do , has anyone seen any info I can back it up
Cheers

Mate first thing I'd do is make sure you've enough 10ft tubes to do the bloody job, you do not want to start cutting your tube.

how you gonna get a decent stagger with 10 foot tubes , never heard such a load of rubbish

F--king limp wristed pen pushers
What is the job ?
Anything bigger than Wendy house you will need a transit pickup load of sleeves !

I decided to put a massive price in purely for the fact I will need shed loads of 10s I was looking to buy more kit anyway and was looking at van thiel so it may be the time to dig deep I know one firm has gone in so low willmots elbowed him

Just price it on the basis that they supply a crane for lifting every 21 into position and that the crane can lift at least 150 individual tubes per hour. Then bury that in the small print of your quote and watch the site agent's face when you turn up on site.

Are Willmott Dixon good payers?

Price it in a system scaffold,most components come in at under 3m

So a sway brace is a 2 man lift and carry?

I wonder what they are basing the 10' limit on in terms of weight. There are a lot of things on site that are heavier than a 10' tube (including 3m system standards) aren't there? 25kg cement bags, dense concrete blocks, slim soldiers, sheets of ply etc etc, all of which are regularly and essentially lifted by hand because there is no easy way of lifting them with a mechanical device.

the 3m limit was from memory an old railtrack requirement it may be fallout from this.
It related to the tube length as opposed to its weight.

It's no longer about how big and tough we are as scaffolders more about protecting ours and others longevity, Bags of cement were 50kg when I was slinging them in the 60's but things have moved on.
SG6:15 states, "an individuals age, strength, level of skill and experience will affect how much a person can safely handle"
Section 4.2 of the same document still refers to hemping 21ft tube (all be it contentious) thus must be acceptable to the industry.

None of which is in question or in play here, the issue is the clients spec requires the longest tube to be 3m this is your limiting factor not what you can lift.
They have even asked you to price accordingly, the easy option would be to price the job with hired system, charged at the rate you pay +20% and make your money on the labour.

I have just heard from the highest authority that Willmott Dixon do not require short tubes to be used unless the scaffold is immediately adjacent to railway lines or in similar locations. It is nothing to do with manual handling.

I had a suspicion that the agent may have been trying to wrong-foot Jase in order to inflate his price and make someone else's pricing look more favorable. But site agents are known to be people of impeccable honour and this would never be the case, especially in the house building sector.

I have know the agent and contract manager for years they are sound,i have just completed a lorry loading bay and they paid in 14 days and they seem happy so will see
what happens.i have also seen a safety sheet from them on the max tube length is 3m so up to now it seems legit ,but i have been around the block a bit and i dont trust anyone until the cheque clears.

Top Bottom