Residential - Protecting Privacy

BetterTAX

Reaction score
Hey everyone, LTNS!

Please don't shoot me down as I have a serious question.

Next door have been building a fecking huge extension for the last 8 weeks. Clearly, it's really been noisy, it's a big carbunkle, semi-detached so no longer look a pair. They have built (with planning permission and PWA) 3m out, single storey across the whole back, so my outlook is now rubbish :(. I have a bay window so can now view a 4m high wall.

Anyway, my point, they have put a sort of stage scaffolding across the back extension to go higher and do the flat roof part. During the PWA, I did agree to scaffolding on my land if necessary and it was to be wrapped to protect my privacy. However, they've not used my land but it's not wrapped either, so they can see in my lounge, my bedroom and the whole of my garden (yeah yeah, should they wish).

I did have the brickie looking down at me yesterday, with a smirky grin that he was lucky I didn't slap off him.

Is it usual for privacy wrapping on residential - even if say they finish that bit in a week... I don't know how long they plan it to be there. The neighbour is a bathroom fitter/ builder himself so he's doing it all (apart from brickying/ scaffolding) along with his son & mates. (Not sure how they are earning a living...).

I find them pretty inconsiderate and they only occasion when I did ask what time they were going to finish (it was 7pm) and had been really really noisy, the son just said "it's a building site" - dumbass! It's your home and I'm your neighbour!!

Anyway, I know I'm moaning but I am trying to be tolerant and accepting of the new build, oh they also now have a raised "balcony" all along, which means they are now head & shoulders above hedge too... not on plans :mad:.

Hope everyone is doing well :).

Oh I forgot to add... one of the handrail tubes was sticking out too far, so the brickie took to it with a mallet to smush it along... not sure that's allowed!

Last edited:
Hi BT
the joys of having the builders in :sad2:, its not normal to scaffold sheet, but out of courtesy they should of at least had netted it,
it might be a good idea to write to them (FRPO) and point out the risks of not protecting materials or debris falling onto your property and causing damage, maybe when they drop something (and they will) it will land on your property (make sure you get some photo evidence before and after) then you can make a claim against his insurer :nuts:

Thanks for replying, Hatterscaff :).

I just feel so overlooked at the moment... apart from the horrendous noise! AGH! (What does FRPO mean? :wondering:)

You may well be stuck with the builders for a short term and your option to object to scaffold or building, I would guess was given but to no avail?
That said if the extension is now to be used as a raised veranda come viewing platform which may not have been covered by the planning application or the permissions granted (Building and or Planning) you should have recourse through the planning and or building department.
They will of course look to make a retrospective application for the use of the veranda, which you will I assume you would object to and will be able to evidence as an invasion of your privacy.

Start building a BBQ below (hopefully) downwind to his veranda.

Cheers for the replies, guys.

Hopefully it will not be a balcony, although a friend said maybe they want to pretty it up and put pots on it! They did want one off their swanky new bedroom but have had to scale it down to a juliet balcony.

Ironically, they were out and about most of the weekend, apart from the turning up at about 3pm Saturday to crack some breeze blocks and finish off the parapet. However, some twinkle on the main road (I'm not that far from the edge :smile1:.. in more ways than one) decided a bank holiday was a good time to get the cheap labourers in to start some building work involving knocking down and heavy drilling. Then when they stopped, some oik over the back decided to pressure wash their patio! I have become very attuned to noise. When it all stops, omg! Bliss!

FRPO - thanks, didn't know that!

BBQ... I'd sooner create something less pleasant!

Oh well... another day another dollar, eh!

Top Bottom