joint pins/spigots (1 Viewer)

bazzaffc

Reaction score
it used to be that you could use a spigot on ledgers as long as it was within 300mm of the node point. is this still the case, i cannot find anything in TG20:13

No joint pins are no longer supposed to be used in ledgers, only for topping out where there will be no tension.

If you do use them I would definitely splice them with 2 swivels either side of the joint.

Spigots are becoming a thing of the past, could only ever be used where there was no tension or bending as mentioned within 300 of a standard but no more thank god!

Spigots are becoming a thing of the past, could only ever be used where there was no tension or bending as mentioned within 300 of a standard but no more thank god!
Van Thiel Tube-Lock Concept is the way forward :bigsmile:

Always liked the old sgb spigots. Never liked the newer versions. As already said no need for them with tubelock

Did you guys know you should alternate the direction of your ledgers in tube lock inside to outside?

Didn't know that. There sales pitch is no need to stagger your joints but never mentioned that.

Goes back about 15 years or so, say the theory was that if all ledgers ran left to right inside and out as the scaffold swayed the joints being in the same direction could both undo.
thus if inside runs left to right and the outside right to left one joint is always tightening. Theory sounds logical.

I did include it in a soft back edition of an operatives guide I compiled at the time.

Ken Johnson was the font of all knowledge on Tube Lock at that time, now it would be Steve Whatley must ask him next time I see him.

Thanks Alan. It would be worth finding out. I would have thought if there was a concern that staggering would have worked best but it would be good to know. Wouldn't want to be pulled for doing it wrong

WP_20170824_05_45_09_Pro.jpg

Not to be confused with staggering joints this is more a directional flow of the joints in the ledgers.
the male pointing left on the outside ledger and right on the inside ledger.

If you get the chance talk to Ken Johnson (now at the NASC) knows more than a bit about the product. Or talk to Steve Whatley still at VT but on a part time basis good guy may know if they have altered their thinking on the subject.

I can say from personal experience that I have seen these joins come undone if incorrectly applied but correctly used a great product.

If I have done this correctly I have attached the page from my publication mentioned previously

regards
Alan

Top Bottom