do not work for this firm (1 Viewer)

Welcome home

Scaff11 and Oldscaff

Scaff I have no problem reading and understanding your posts (some of us are better readers than others please make allowances) and I hope you continue to make your contribution to this board

Oldscaff we need the presence of us Old school scaffolders on this board to remind the boys on here what a great game it used to be,and still is at some companies, and hopefully help the SCCR in its mission to restore a voice into how the lads of today are advised to work safely and efficently.

As a fellow old hand, well said rigger, your a rock of sense.

can i just ask exactly what are the requirments to be classed as an old school scaff, is it age, or certain kinda date or era when you became a scaffolder lol

can i just ask exactly what are the requirments to be classed as an old school scaff, is it age, or certain kinda date or era when you became a scaffolder lol

Yeah it's a bit overused.

Personally, I would say anyone pre double guardrail.

So that was September 01 1996.

What does everyone reckon?

so i was right what i was thinking then im old school lol:laugh:

single handrails, harnesses were for parachutists only, if you took time off work with a broken arm you were soft, work in all weathers dreaming of the day ppe an workwear might be supplied for you .

start first day of working life as a snotty nosed teenager on a monday finish your first week on a friday a feckin man lol:laugh:

Nothing as complicated as that Phil. simply age. As uncle Albert would say, : during the war : you know how us old folks like to reminisce.

i stated in at the end of 69 as soon as i was thrown out of schoold with my dad i got to this job three handed we was and had to pump up 60 long in the first hour my arms was fucked on a price and a rope and wheel to them was to slow, them you did it or get a dig if you said **** this you get another dig or a fitting aimed at you thats how you was taught and i was a labour for 5 years if you had a spanner they said what the **** that and lobbed it of the scaffold and why you have a hole in your arse you never be a scaff and thats your old man:)

i think the same with some scaffolders tho, when they say they can do something and when you see what they are capable of they should not even be let loose with a spanner never mind giving them cards. the courses should be self assessed and alot more stricter than they are

I'd prefer it to be pre they reckon were going to be made to wear helmets on site. :D

I'd prefer it to be pre they reckon were going to be made to wear helmets on site. :D
Can identify with that one Ian. I remember a safety officer back in the late 70's with SGB. Mike Hanrahan, who used to give us safety talks, 0ne of the subjects was on wearing helmets. He used to talk of differences in attitudes in the U.S. and U.K. Where in the U.S construction workers wearing hard hats were considered hard men, whereas in the U.K if you wore one you were considered a softy.

Top Bottom