apprentice

scaff101

Reaction score
how do you go about putting lad through apprenticeship? does council pay them or employer have to pay hem?

Contact the citb they will talk you through it but tbh theres quite a few hoops to jump through especially on the H&S side of things & a training officer will visit your yard & workplaces- its down to you to pay them but you get several grants through out their training which can be used to top up your coffers or subsidise their wages.tbh unless your of a certain size its hardly worth it as they tend to fcuk off & not finish the apprentiship - its a lot easier & cheeper to take on a labourer & put them through the cots & apply for a trainee ticket & let them run off that & put a bit away every month & put him through his ticket yourself

I have had 2 apprentices and they worked out alright for me. As SP say get in touch with CITB. They sent someone to my yard and went through the H&S stuff with me. They helped me out as I was expecting a telling off for not doing certain things and having certain procedures in place but the guy was really helpful.

Once you are accepted you lose you apprentice for 2 weeks roughly every 6 months. You get grants paid after completion of certain parts of the course and claim for there travel costs if you front it for them. At the end you get a big completion grant and a qualified scaff who wants a pay rise.

Beauty is you can mould them to your needs and way of working.

I think it is worth it.

Spunky is spot on - we've also had a few albeit the last about 6yrs ago- but like i said the downside is very few reach the end & if they do tend to fcuk off at the end of it for a bigger pay packet elsewhere & someone else gets the benifit of your hard work training them :-(

It's getting the little b4ast4rds out of bed and down to the yard in time thats he main problem, then constantly kicking them about their phones, bet we've gone through about 10 of the lazy sh1tbags over the last 2 years to find 1 decent lad. Not many of the younger ones want to put any graft in.

Top Bottom