Question about brace stability

rogers525

Reaction score
Just a quick question. On the base of the scaffold is it acceptable for the ledger brace to not touch the floor as I've some scaffs leave the brace a foot off the floor, cheers.

I have never touched the floor with a ledger brace .... with or without a kicker...

300 of a node point and Terra firma is point node so its all good

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

No it not what ?

Surely it's good practice to hit the ground and it's something i've always done unless there is a kicker/foot-tie in place.
But i have noticed just recently that a few of our lads are not hitting the ground with them,i'm not sure there's anything in the regs. but i do know that Carillion in particular like the bottom of the brace to sit on the sole board.
Interested in this one myself as i have been pulling them up on it in my inspections,but only as good working practice and not as a regulation.

Like I said 300 with in the node point a brace is there to add stability not to transfer loadings to ground , putting the brace to ground can make the inside legs start to float so you have now made that brace a spur and it is taking loading which is not good cause now its adding extra loading to the base off the leg its attach to

Like I said 300 with in the node point a brace is there to add stability not to transfer loadings to ground , putting the brace to ground can make the inside legs start to float so you have now made that brace a spur and it is taking loading which is not good cause now its adding extra loading to the base off the leg its attach to

smark are you for real mate ,

The first lift braced to the inside ledger should always touch the floor ,
A. It adds rigidity
B. It acts as a racker

You say it makes the standard float is all down to the experience of the man erecting it ,
sometimes you have to release the standard double to let the standard take the
weight after bracing which then puts the load back on the standard ;)

Phil I tie all my scaffolds I'd only ever use a raker on a two bit scaffold a brace is not there to take loading its add stability to a structure if you use it to transfer loadings its a spur , I take it you don't work on any major construction projects or know how to take loadings to ground

Phil I tie all my scaffolds I'd only ever use a raker on a two bit scaffold a brace is not there to take loading its add stability to a structure if you use it to transfer loadings its a spur , I take it you don't work on any major construction projects or know how to take loadings to ground

hahhah really ,
so you would tie a first lift for a bricky scaffold ?
the brace as you say is there for rigidity but if you can use it to perform 2 jobs at once then surely thats better ?

I always put braces sat on sole board or onto solid flooring unless a kicker lift is fitted. If the brace is not sat on floor then to me its not doing much as it does act as a raker!

True you can raker a low level light duty scaffold but if I used one to tie any off the structures I work on it would be condemned so sorry I would tie anything I erected Phil even a Brickie base lift

True you can raker a low level light duty scaffold but if I used one to tie any off the structures I work on it would be condemned so sorry I would tie anything I erected Phil even a Brickie base lift

alright fella i think we are talking about to different things mate,
as you cant seem to grasp the concept of a tube doing more then one task at a time ;)

I would always hit the ground with the brace. If the jobs getting tied it doesn't really matter as long as brace is within 300 of node point but if the scaffolds gonna be within base/height limits then you want to hit ground to take the bit of play out of the swivel. Get the base lift nice and solid and it stays sturdy on way up. If you don't hit ground with brace and don't have ties in scaffold it's gonna wobble a bit cos of the swivel play.

Morning All,
Interesting opinions on bracing??
Bracing is intended to stiffen scaffolding via triangulation.
Braces are LOAD BEARING components as they are used to transfer horizontal loads (wind etc) plus the horizontal elements of vertical loads (sway) to the node points.

Braces SHOULD butt ground where possible as was always the case prior to the rewrite of TG20:13 where the lines become a little blured.

For those old enough to remember the little green or yellow SGB book from the 70's it was clearly stated that "Bracing should always go down to the sole plate level on to a sole plate and be attached to the scaffold at the bottom"

This wording changed slightly in BS5973
"the longitudinal bracing should include the lower lift starting from the base of one of the outside standards"

In TG20 again a dilution of the wording which may lead to a misinterpretation of the intention
"The longitudinal bracing should start as close as possible practicable and not more than 300 from the base"

(Note 300 from the base is not the desired result merely the worst acceptable case!!)

If however, you look at the 4 examples in Fig 2.2 on page 27 of TG20:13 design guide the intention to start your brace where the standard hits the ground is quite clear

Again if you look at TG20:13 operational guide the statement is to "connect the brace within 300 of the ground" not "start"

I have seen tens of sign boards & hoardings in the Middle east that have failed at the kicker lift, standards cast into concrete bent at 90 degrees when the wind hits them because the braces stopped at the kicker and not butted the ground.

Make no mistake butting the base is ALWAYS better than not.
regards Alan

Morning All,
Interesting opinions on bracing??
Bracing is intended to stiffen scaffolding via triangulation.
Braces are LOAD BEARING components as they are used to transfer horizontal loads (wind etc) plus the horizontal elements of vertical loads (sway) to the node points.

Braces SHOULD butt ground where possible as was always the case prior to the rewrite of TG20:13 where the lines become a little blured.

For those old enough to remember the little green or yellow SGB book from the 70's it was clearly stated that "Bracing should always go down to the sole plate level on to a sole plate and be attached to the scaffold at the bottom"

This wording changed slightly in BS5973
"the longitudinal bracing should include the lower lift starting from the base of one of the outside standards"

In TG20 again a dilution of the wording which may lead to a misinterpretation of the intention
"The longitudinal bracing should start as close as possible practicable and not more than 300 from the base"

(Note 300 from the base is not the desired result merely the worst acceptable case!!)

If however, you look at the 4 examples in Fig 2.2 on page 27 of TG20:13 design guide the intention to start your brace where the standard hits the ground is quite clear

Again if you look at TG20:13 operational guide the statement is to "connect the brace within 300 of the ground" not "start"

I have seen tens of sign boards & hoardings in the Middle east that have failed at the kicker lift, standards cast into concrete bent at 90 degrees when the wind hits them because the braces stopped at the kicker and not butted the ground.

Make no mistake butting the base is ALWAYS better than not.
regards Alan

That's great Alan, it's always reassuring to hear these sort of queries answered by someone with your experience in these matters.
So to clarify the matter can we say that hitting the ground is just good practice and not a regulation?,i'm fed up pulling up the couple of gangs that are doing this and not really having any back up apart from saying it's how it should be done.

Top Bottom