Top lift of boards (1 Viewer)

kendodd

Reaction score
Ok lads apoligies for messaging on the wrong post earlier i think am in the wright place now .could any one tell me if you have to tie down the top lift of boards or is it just advisory.

CISRS states All boards under 7 ft must be secured boards over 7 ft must be supported at maximum of 1.2m centres if conditions appear i.e. Wind or at great Hight then we must do all reasonably possible to prevent materials coming loose and creating a hazard

Thanks scaffolder110 yes iv read that so basically you dont have to ? when does it become a great height and wind conditions are good today bad tomorrow it would make sence and good practice to tie every board specially the top working lift ,so one inspector passes the scaffold one week and a different inspector fails the scaffold the next because all boards on the top lift arnt tied down ?

I had this discussion with a mate this week. Cisrs may say secure up to 7ft boards but if a 13ft gets blown of the scaffold and kills someone the judge will want to know why you didn't secure it. Always expect 80mph winds to hit your scaffold. If your confident it won't fail in any way it's good.

That's where the e-guide comes in handy,it tells you the requirements for scaffolds in certain areas where the weather can be an issue.
If it's in a fairly normal environment with no adverse weather conditions and not at an extreme height i can't see why you should have to tie your boards down.
The e-guide really is a great back up tool if your unsure on things like this,worth getting hold of.

theres a couple of old phrases that spring to mind with regards to this one
4 SEASONS IN ONE DAY and CHANGES LIKE THE WIND
In these times of were theres blame theres a claim maybe better to err on the side of caution;)

Top Bottom