Beam clamp (1 Viewer)

marra watson

Reaction score
Hello lads long time. Quick question is there any reason as to the size of a beam clamp. Currently working on a project were we need to bite the steel to build from and beam clamp just isn't big enough so the company have resorted to using untested home made dead head like bands. I say home made there made by aerospace fabricators not just knocked up in the fittings shed 🤔🤔🤔. But are still untested. Is there a beam clap available on the market to fit say 6 inch steel? If not is there a reason for it ie unable to achive a high enough slip test to due to deflection or movment. Not enough torque over that size bite any idea cheers

Couldn't swear to it fella but I think you struggle to find a clamp to open that wide , you would probably have to have made to order , that's some clamp

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Couldn't swear to it fella but I think you struggle to find a clamp to open that wide , you would probably have to have made to order , that's some clamp

Dosent have to be 6 inch just an inch bigger than the normal beam clamp. Would be interesting to know if there is a reason behind the size. Maby it's adequate for majority for steel found on jobs. Wonder if it was any bigger would need to have double bolts hopefully Alan and the likes can shed some light on it

I'm sure they are made to suit the majority of steel and it's probably a cost issue with making it bigger when it's adequate for most steel. The old SK would probably give a wider depth than the gravlocks. If you contact Presco or some the manufacturers they could help

As Derry has said, it stands to reason that the standard dimensions of the girder coupler generally in use is such because it doesn't need to be any bigger. That is to say, it's sufficient for most 'standard' beams. There's no reason why bespoke examples couldn't be produced, as long as they met the necessary industry tests and standards and could be proven to be compliant to the loadings placed on it.

Is there no pssibility of a box tie on the steel Marra and come off of that? Or are Gravloks the only way forward?

Was just going to suggest that Weaver.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Hows marra doing?

Ort Marra aye still up in Barrow marra but they only been using tube and fit for 20 years and don't grasp Tg sg 😂😂

Is there no pssibility of a box tie on the steel Marra and come off of that? Or are Gravloks the only way forward?

Box tie isn't possible need to strap tubes across and then punch. Up while the standard rest on steel lower down but the steel is curved below so you crnt Base out on it with out it slipping down. You have to Straps your inside ledger across the beams first to come off it using easy fix and need to tie your out side standard at the bottom on a ledger like your inside. Imagine a doing a job in a vessel but you can go right across. till now there using home made dead heads.

Ort Marra aye still up in Barrow marra but they only been using tube and fit for 20 years and don't grasp Tg sg ����

Box tie isn't possible need to strap tubes across and then punch. Up while the standard rest on steel lower down but the steel is curved below so you crnt Base out on it with out it slipping down. You have to Straps your inside ledger across the beams first to come off it using easy fix and need to tie your out side standard at the bottom on a ledger like your inside. Imagine a doing a job in a vessel but you can go right across. till now there using home made dead heads.

Sounds a bloody nightmare........

Regarding the steel below Marra, is it just curved as in circular? If so can you use friction clamps on it. Then build up off those? Just ideas mate.

If I remember right the SGB steel faced DH fitting had a good bit more space then the S.K
Not sure if you can still get them

Yeah Phil they are still about but not sure they would grab hold of six inch beam

The dead head/DH INVENTED BY A SCAFF FROM LONDON who was working OffShore apparently the man was given £250 by SGB and was known as the PR 250 after Pat Reagan
MAY NOT BE TOTALLY TRUE BUT ONE FOR SCAFFOLDING FOLKLORE;)

Sounds a bloody nightmare........

Regarding the steel below Marra, is it just curved as in circular? If so can you use friction clamps on it. Then build up off those? Just ideas mate.

No crnt use friction clamps. Its like a big I beam but it's circular strap you ledger at right angles to the I beam but because it's curved bottom outside ledger as kicker height also needs tied.

weld it to the steelwork a long as the weld gets tested bobs yer uncle;)

Lift height constantly moving gets stripped and re erected at different height as the job moves on nightmare like it's not possible most of the time to build the job to suit every trade. You best friend on the job is the recip and jigsaw 😂😂😂

Top Bottom